Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB ports not connecting on 2012 iMac

I have an old iMac (2012 27") running Catalina 10.15.7 and now my USB ports located on the back of the desktop are no longer connecting. All items connect to my MacBook Pro. Is there ANY suggestions? I've tried recovery mode & fixing the disk

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2022 2:21 PM

Reset the iMac’s SMC

1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.
  2. Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

and the iMac’s NVRAM.

Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds.

then test the USB ports.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2022 2:21 PM in response to mtnpeeps

Reset the iMac’s SMC

1. Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.
  2. Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

and the iMac’s NVRAM.

Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds.

then test the USB ports.

Apr 13, 2022 7:57 AM in response to mtnpeeps

Before you run off to the Apple store, run System Information (in your Utilities folder) and see if that "sees" the USB buses. Select "USB" from SI's left-hand Contents pane to get this:

If the main pane is blank, then the USB buses are likely toast, If individual buses show like about, there may be hope.

You may need to do the SMC reset more than once. Also, I've had issues with SMC resets not "taking" because I count too fast! Try 30 seconds unplugged and 15 after replugging, just in case you count as fast I I do

Running Apple Diagnostics may point to a specific hardware fault:

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

USB ports not connecting on 2012 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.