Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SOLUTION to panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8011a16487): "AppleIntelFramebuffer::setPowerState

It turns out there's a lot of folks that are facing this issue (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251221769)

A peak of the panic report:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8011a16487): "AppleIntelFramebuffer::setPowerState(0xffffff8359b02000 : 0xffffff7f94fafd88, 1 -> 0) timed out after 45989 ms"@/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-6153.101.6/iokit/Kernel/IOServicePM.cpp:5296

So the unofficial solution is:  In system preferences -> energy saver -> power adapter -> turn display off after = NEVER.

My mac had the same issue as you can see here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251221769

This solution has worked so far.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 11:05 PM

Similar questions

35 replies

Sep 23, 2020 5:47 PM in response to yuanshiming

Catalina 10.15.6 here on my 2018 MBP.

I still have this problem associated with the sleep/wake cycle.

I have a similar crash report:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f9c9333c5): "UPSB(MacBookPro15,1): thunderbolt power on failed 0xffffffff\n"@/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IOPCIFamily/IOPCIFamily-370.141.1/IOPCIBridge.cpp:1398

I've disabled the Thunderbolt Bridge, done a PRAM reset, yet still the problem persists...

The only thing plugged into the Thunderbolt port is occasionally my official Apple charger. It crashes whether that's plugged in or not. 11 times today and counting...

I too paid £3,500 for this Macbook Pro and I'm sick of it, frankly. I've had Macs for over 20 years, and the last few years, they've gone rapidly downhill.

Off-topic slightly, the farcical repair process of having to send it to the Czech Republic where no-one, not even senior UK Apple experts can communicate with the repair team there, is appalling. They routinely wipe all machines even when replacing something as basic as a sticky keyboard. They even wiped my second, brand new, (but also faulty) backup MBP despite Apple UK cancelling its repair (at my request in case they wiped that too) before any work had started - wtff?

I've lost so much data, it's unreal. (Time Machine backups failed repeatedly before you swoop. I had to use the new loaned MBP as backup for my main one, and brilliantly, that too failed... 🥴)

May 8, 2020 10:34 AM in response to mdm76012

Definitely interested in this thread.

Brand new (refurbished by Apple) MacBook Pro 16. Every time I leave it idle for >45 minutes, when I come back to it, it has restarted and I get the "Your computer restarted because of a problem" messaged., Contacted apple support, completely erased the hard drive, reinstalled Mac OS, and manually installed a few software apps that I have on my 2015 MacBook Pro... and still experiencing this shut down issue. Apple wanted me to send it back for repair- but it seems like, if this is a hardware issue, it is a BIG hardware issue.

Oct 23, 2020 2:36 AM in response to yuanshiming

Hello, had the same problem for a few months now on Catalina OS on a MacBook Pro 2018 15".

I found a fix for it - I installed the BETA version of Big Sur (20A5395g), which is pretty stable and received no panic attack after leaving the laptop to sleep even overnight.

If you want to do it, keep in mind that this is a BETA OS and you are taking a risk by installing it.

If you haven't yet registered as a developer you need to enroll in the program - here.

1. Go to developer.apple.com
  2. Click on Discover > macOS > Download and sign in with your developer account or Apple ID.
  3. Click on Install Profile to download the new macOS Developer Beta Access Utility to your Mac.
  4. Go to Downloads on your Mac and click on the new macOS Developer Beta Access Utility to open it.
  5. Double click on the macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.pkg and the installer will run.
  6. Once new macOS beta is installed Software Update (in System Preferences) will check to see if there are any updates. Click Update and the latest version will download.
  7. You'll see a prompt to install the software, click on Continue.
  8. Agree to the Ts&Cs (more on them below).
  9. Click Install.

May 8, 2020 12:14 PM in response to msmith2000

if this is a hardware issue, it is a BIG hardware issue.

It could be. It's not like Apple hasn't received bad hardware from Nvidia before.

If people sit around waiting for a software fix, the bad hardware will never be identified by Apple. If everyone with problems on the new 16" MacBook Pro had them serviced/returned them, we likely wouldn't be still wondering what is going on.

May 8, 2020 2:14 PM in response to Barney-15E

I was reading another thread where someone had sent their max back for repair... only for the problem to still persist. Mine is slated to be sent back, but I figured I would check these discussion boards first, because when Apple Support tech looked at the error logs, it was REALLY quick, and all he ended up having me do was run first aid, and then do the wipe and reinstall. Something made me want to double check if this really was a "my computer only" thing or if anyone else has had this issue.

May 10, 2020 3:53 AM in response to msmith2000

did the first aid thing work ??

if so how so I do it, I have today logged a ticket with apple for this, the person was kind but had not come across this either.

Suggested mail repair but im holding off on this as working from home I need the device and can't not have ir for unto 2 weeks !

seems apple needs to get on this quick, if anyone reading this having same issues please log it !! mean you are then cover by consumer law for 6 years as you have logged it under warranty period !

Jun 12, 2020 8:21 AM in response to yuanshiming

Well I can add my experience to this thread: got a brand new Macbook pro 2020, and the day it arrived ( vanilla - only had google chrome and spotify installed) it kept crashing. I did a clean reinstall + first aid (nothing found) but nothing fixed the problem, it kept crashing when I was leaving my computer for more than 30 minutes idle. I ended up going through the excruciating process to have my macbook replace (trust me you do not want to suffer this) got my new one yesterday and drumroll....SAME FUCKING PROBLEM!!! So I ended up doing as everyone in the thread has mentioned (turning off the power nap, and disconnecting the power cord when idle,) and so far so good... To me it is still a huge problem that a brand new Macbook pro that I paid over 3.5k is crashing like this. But hopefully this will be fixed with Catalina Update (!)

Aug 8, 2020 6:38 PM in response to yuanshiming

I live in Japan and bought my 16MBP here. I have the same problem (panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f885333c5): "DSB0(MacBookPro16,1): thunderbolt power on failed 0xffffffff\n"@/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IOPCIFamily/IOPCIFamily-370.141.1/IOPCIBridge.cpp:1398) as others. Before this problem set in, though, I had lost the ability to charge with the two USB-C ports on the right side. I still cannot charge from them and, yes, I have done the various resets which some people find fixes the problem. With these two ports unavailable, I most certainly have a hardware problem on an expensive computer which is 9 months old. I find that the 16MBP crashes when I close the shell. The timing of the crash is usually 30 secs though it has also taken as along as 50 sec. I am documenting now all the crashes. I get the same report as pasted above all the time. I did a complete reinstall of the OS (10.15.6) ad the problem remains. I have Apple Care and will demand a new machine. I am concerned, however, that the new device may have the same problem. This had been the very best computer I'd ever owned.

Aug 14, 2020 8:51 AM in response to yuanshiming

Same issue here...

Brand new Macbook Pro 2020 with Catalina 10.15.6.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)

Processor 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 32 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X

Graphics Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB

However, trying to install 10.15.6 Supplemental Update which notes this fix:

Fixes a stability issue that could occur when running virtualization apps

Will update afterwards...

Sep 9, 2020 11:27 PM in response to megabiteg

I have done everything I could for this issue. Downgraded to High Sierra. Problem persists. Upgraded to Mojave. Problem Persists. Upgraded to Catalina. Problem Persists. Upgraded to latest Big Sur Beta (Ver 11.0). Problem Persists. The only way I have truly found around it was to install a 3rd party program called "InsomniaX" which does not let the computer sleep when the lid is closed. I recently took the laptop to the Genius Bar, and they ran some tests, but their only solution for my 2015 MacBook Pro was to pay $479 and have the logic board replaced. At this point, that's about how much the laptop is worth. If there's anything I've found out about Apple laptops, is you are at the mercy of the hardware, and AppleCare is a wise investment if you're spending a lot of money on a laptop if they are all prone to this same issue that won't be fixed by software...ever!

I happen to own three other Macs, one MacBook Air 2013 (running Catalina, has same problem, but not very often). A MacBook Pro 15" 2015 (running Catalina, never had an issue), and a 2017 MacBook Pro 15" (running Catalina, never had an issue, but has a the random "popping" sound).

Note to self (and all of you): Just because it's an Apple device does NOT make it invincible to problems that other laptops and electronic devices all can get. If you buy used, be very careful. Look for continued Apple Care coverage in all future used OR NEW purchases.

It's a true shame that at least a 3rd party program can be a band-aid for 1st party hardware.

Sep 9, 2020 11:37 PM in response to jeff2417

Well I just found the solution for my case:

I noticed that someone mentioned that the driver involved in the panic has to do with graphics and sound via HDMI. I recently got a 4K monitor with sound integrated, and after the 10.15.6 update this problem started for me.

I tried the trick of disabling screen dimming and closing the lid and no dice. But when I disconnect the 4K monitor and let it sleep, now it doesn’t happen. What I believe that’s happening is that, when it attempts to switch audio inputs, while asleep the panic his happening.

im going to try setting the audio input to the screen before sleep and see if the problem happens. I’ll report back.

SOLUTION to panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8011a16487): "AppleIntelFramebuffer::setPowerState

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.