Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

page numbering

I have a book I'm trying to import to Pages from InDesign, since Adobe has gone to this asinine subscription-based platform.

I'm trying to add page numbers only to certain pages, but the Pages Help system is extremely unhelpful.

How do I begin the page numbering on the third page of the layout and not have any page numbers on the first two? Additionally, how do I stop the page numbering at a point before the end of the layout?

I've tried everything in the Help Menu, but it's not giving me the information I'm looking for.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 1:23 PM

In the View menu, select Show Invisibles to make the page break following the copyright notice visible.

Select that page break, then go to the Insert menu and choose SectionBreak.

This will make the third page (and the rest of the document below that page) a new Section.

Open the Document Inspector, and choose Section.

Click on the header or footer box where you want the page number to appear (I used the center Header box to make for a smaller screen shot), and Insert page number.

In the Section Inspector:

• Check the 'Hide on first page of section' box
  • UNcheck the 'Match previous section' box
  • Click the radio button 'Start at…' and set the number to 1

At the last page of Chapter 1, insert a section break at the end of the text, replacing the return or Page break that is there.

Open the Document inspector, Section, and click the Page numbers—'continue from previous section' radio button.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2020 1:23 PM in response to crash041

In the View menu, select Show Invisibles to make the page break following the copyright notice visible.

Select that page break, then go to the Insert menu and choose SectionBreak.

This will make the third page (and the rest of the document below that page) a new Section.

Open the Document Inspector, and choose Section.

Click on the header or footer box where you want the page number to appear (I used the center Header box to make for a smaller screen shot), and Insert page number.

In the Section Inspector:

• Check the 'Hide on first page of section' box
  • UNcheck the 'Match previous section' box
  • Click the radio button 'Start at…' and set the number to 1

At the last page of Chapter 1, insert a section break at the end of the text, replacing the return or Page break that is there.

Open the Document inspector, Section, and click the Page numbers—'continue from previous section' radio button.

Regards,

Barry

page numbering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.