Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Page number choices dimmed or greyed out in Page Layout mode.

I am designing a book using Apple Pages in Page Layout mode. I wish to start page numbering at a particular number. I am on the document's ninth page. I have inserted a page number into the center box of the footer. I have also created a text box and inserted the page number there. Both currently display the number 9. I wish to change this to 1 and begin numbering subsequent pages there. With nothing selected on my page (the 9th page of the document), I click on the brush icon labeled Format. This brings up a sidebar on the right labeled Page Layout. I click on the "Greater Than" symbol next to the words "Page Numbering" and a drop down panel appears. It contains the word: Format above a "dimmed out" or "greyed out" drop down menu followed by the word Numbering above another dimmed out page numbering control. How do I activate these controls so I may properly format my page numbers? Thank you for your assistance. -Peter

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 10:45 AM

5 replies

Jun 2, 2021 9:43 AM in response to Peter Weisz1

Hello Peter Weisz1,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities!

We see that you are trying to get the options for Page Numbering to be available in the Pages app on your Mac.

We’d be happy to help!

You can follow the steps in Set up your document in Pages under the “Add page numbers” section.

You need to click on the footer and select “Insert Page Number” for that section to be available to change the format.

You may need to remove the current numbers and try inserting them again.

Have a great day!

Jun 2, 2021 10:54 AM in response to Peter Weisz1

Peter,

Thank you for the reply.

Step 1 on the screenshot you provided gives the instructions for a word-processing document and then a page layout document next.

If you have already selected Insert>Page Number at the top left by the Apple Logo when the footer is highlighted rather than only typing a number in the footer, then you may need to see about updating your version of Pages by following the steps in Use the App Store to update apps on Mac.

Cheers.

Jun 2, 2021 9:58 AM in response to mario49

Dear Mario: Thank you for your attempted assistance, but I'm afraid your instructions do not work. I have already attempted to change the starting page number by placing the page number in the footer, as I said. I have also tried the same with a text box into which I have inserted the page number. The controls that would allow me to adjust the starting number are DIMMED OUT. I cannot use them. That is the problem. In the page to which you directed me, there are instructions to do this, but they are only for a WORD PROCESSSING document. I do not have such a document. Mine is a PAGE LAYOUT document. Please see the attached screen shot and you will observe that these instructions (Step No. 1) apply only to a WORD PROCESSING document. I am trying to figure out how to do the same in a PAGE LAYOUT document. That is my question. Do you know how to do this? Do you know how to create a SECTION in a PAGE LAYOUT document? Do you know how to make the controls UNDIMMED in a PAGE LAYOUT document? If so, please let me know. I hope I am now being clear about the problem. Thank you.

Jun 2, 2021 1:36 PM in response to Nicholas_B2

Thank you for your help. I finally figured out the problem and how to solve it. It has to do with the fact that I have the pages of the book displayed using the "facing page" feature. I was unable to control when the page numbering controls applied to the lefthand (verso) or righthand (recto) page. Via trial and error I learned that the controls apple to the leftmost and topmost page. So by resizing the window so that only the recto page was visible, the controls became undimmed and I could adjust the page number format and the starting value. This maneuver did crash PAGES the first time I tried it because I did not allow sufficient time for my changes to populate my 320 page document. But once I allowed for that, it went smoothly. I am attempting to avoid using InDesign or Quark because I truly like the PAGES interface. If you encounter this issue again, you might ask if the "facing pages" feature has been invoked. Thanks.

Page number choices dimmed or greyed out in Page Layout mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.