Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Page numbers in Apple Pages

I cannot get the page numbering system to work correctly. When I enter the first page number in the header of the first page, the system does not increment the page number on the following pages -- it stays at 1. And the Page Numbering section in the Documents tool bar is always greyed out. I can find no way to activate it.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 10:27 PM

''When I enter the first page number in the header of the first page"

If you entered the actual number,, that is your error.

Click in the Header or Footer box in which you want the page number to appear.

Pages will give you the option to "Insert Page Number"

Click that instruction, then choose the form of page numbers to use from the resulting menu.

The menu shows a choice of Page 1 of 1, but I changed my mind and clicked the first menu item — just the page number.

And that is what is displayed. Above is the page number as it appears on Page 1. Below is the page number on the next page, inserted automatically by Pages, with no further user action.

The light lines outlining the three header boxes appear when you are editing the content of these Header boxes, and disappear in the finished document.

Regards,

barry

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2022 10:27 PM in response to lapnews

''When I enter the first page number in the header of the first page"

If you entered the actual number,, that is your error.

Click in the Header or Footer box in which you want the page number to appear.

Pages will give you the option to "Insert Page Number"

Click that instruction, then choose the form of page numbers to use from the resulting menu.

The menu shows a choice of Page 1 of 1, but I changed my mind and clicked the first menu item — just the page number.

And that is what is displayed. Above is the page number as it appears on Page 1. Below is the page number on the next page, inserted automatically by Pages, with no further user action.

The light lines outlining the three header boxes appear when you are editing the content of these Header boxes, and disappear in the finished document.

Regards,

barry

Page numbers in Apple Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.