Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm struggling to start page numbering at chosen page

Despite inserting a section break after the front material of my book using Pages I can't work out how to start page numbering at Chapter 1. When I go to Document-Section-Page Numbering that section is grey. Whatever I choose for Headers & Footers (Hide or Match) and Create a new section or After this section, the Page numbering boxes remain grey. I'm using version 11.0 of Pages.

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 6:36 AM

Hi again willjm,

Is your book a Page Layout document or a Word Processing document?

In a Page Layout document, each page is already a separate Section.

In a Word Processing document, the whole document is one Section until you insert Section Breaks between chapters.

With a Word Processing document,

Menu > View > Show Invisibles.

Menu > View > Page Thumbnails.

The horizontal blue line is a Section Break (click at the bottom of the introduction and Menu > Insert > Section Break).

I reduced the document to two pages (and 50% Zoom) for a smaller screen shot.

After inserting a page number in the Page Header in Section 2 (and with the cursor anywhere in Section 2)

Please reply with more questions. There are many fellow users here who will add helpful replies.

Regards,

Ian.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2021 6:36 AM in response to willjm

Hi again willjm,

Is your book a Page Layout document or a Word Processing document?

In a Page Layout document, each page is already a separate Section.

In a Word Processing document, the whole document is one Section until you insert Section Breaks between chapters.

With a Word Processing document,

Menu > View > Show Invisibles.

Menu > View > Page Thumbnails.

The horizontal blue line is a Section Break (click at the bottom of the introduction and Menu > Insert > Section Break).

I reduced the document to two pages (and 50% Zoom) for a smaller screen shot.

After inserting a page number in the Page Header in Section 2 (and with the cursor anywhere in Section 2)

Please reply with more questions. There are many fellow users here who will add helpful replies.

Regards,

Ian.

I'm struggling to start page numbering at chosen page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.