You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

phishing?

Today at lunch with coworkers while distracted i very stupidly clicked on a link in a text i was sent regarding tracking a parcel - in my defence i do have some parcels on their way to me. The website had barely begun to load when i realised it wasn't what it said it was. i shut the tab of the internet down and cleared all the open apps on my phone. Tonight i backed my phone up to my laptop and then restored it to factory settings and restored it again from my laptop. Should i still be concerned about my phone having been attacked with a virus, malware or my details phished- even though i did not put any details onto the open webpage nor click any links/buttons on the webpage. i feel like a right idiot for following a non valid link- i normally know so much better. any suggestions, thoughts or tips would be much appreciated.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 3:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 3:50 AM

Nope. No worries. You would have been fine even if you had not set your iPhone to factory settings and restored from a backup. The phishing websites do not hack your device or implant a virus or implant malware. What that website does is to try and fool you into thinking that it is a legitimate site and get you to input your username and password. The site then captures those credentials and uses them to exploit your data. You did not complete anything so you are fine.

Furthermore, if you ever suspect hat something is seriously wrong with your data on your iPhone then never back it up to restore from it again. This is because if you do so then you will have restored the iPhone into the same state that it was before the backup.

To summarize, you are fine. You are good to go. If you suspect anything else then let us know again.

Axel F.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 1, 2020 3:50 AM in response to shanjust88

Nope. No worries. You would have been fine even if you had not set your iPhone to factory settings and restored from a backup. The phishing websites do not hack your device or implant a virus or implant malware. What that website does is to try and fool you into thinking that it is a legitimate site and get you to input your username and password. The site then captures those credentials and uses them to exploit your data. You did not complete anything so you are fine.

Furthermore, if you ever suspect hat something is seriously wrong with your data on your iPhone then never back it up to restore from it again. This is because if you do so then you will have restored the iPhone into the same state that it was before the backup.

To summarize, you are fine. You are good to go. If you suspect anything else then let us know again.

Axel F.

phishing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.