Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pictures versus Photos Library

What at would cause a Photo or Quicktime (.mov) to show up in both the Photos Library and the Pictures folder? And... while the file name is the same, can I delete the one in the Pictures Folder without losing the one in the Photos Library?

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 11:06 AM

There are so many things that can cause this it would be impossible to delineate them all. But the most obvious thing is that whatever app is saving the files is defaulting to the Pictures folder, and thereafter they are imported to Photos. Importing does not move files, it copies them.

Second question: Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and Photo copies files into the Photos Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package. In this set up it's safe to delete the files in the Pictures folder.

A Referenced Library is when Photos is NOT copying the files into the Photos Library when importing because you made a change at Photos -> Preferences -> General. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management, and removing the files will mean that the app can't find them.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2020 11:06 AM in response to nts55

There are so many things that can cause this it would be impossible to delineate them all. But the most obvious thing is that whatever app is saving the files is defaulting to the Pictures folder, and thereafter they are imported to Photos. Importing does not move files, it copies them.

Second question: Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and Photo copies files into the Photos Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package. In this set up it's safe to delete the files in the Pictures folder.

A Referenced Library is when Photos is NOT copying the files into the Photos Library when importing because you made a change at Photos -> Preferences -> General. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management, and removing the files will mean that the app can't find them.

Apr 1, 2020 11:29 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you so for such a clear and concise response.

I import (or download) photos from an iPhone or e-mails to Photos. The "copy items to the Photos library" is unchecked, which I understand means I have a "Referenced Library". I believe I did this some time ago to not overload my iCloud storage. When I import from the phone, by default I have "Library" selected. I never choose the Pictures (or any other) folder to download images from the iPhone.

I also import larger images, both RAW and JPEG from cameras directly to folders on both a laptop and an external drive. In the past I primarily used Image Capture, but now often use Adobe Bridge, but those are not showing up in the Pictures folder.

Apr 1, 2020 2:43 PM in response to nts55

You have a rather complex photo management system and I caution you that complexity is the mother of dataloss.

Best to have one app, one workflow for the task, rather than switching between them.

The "copy items to the Photos library" is unchecked, which I understand means I have a "Referenced Library".

I would caution you against using Photos in this mode. It simply has not got the tools to manage the files. It really is very poor in this area.

I never choose the Pictures (or any other) folder to download images from the iPhone.

So, you import the images from your phone to the Library, but where are the files? If you're not copying the files into the library, where are you putting them?

I also import larger images, both RAW and JPEG from cameras directly to folders

Again, where are these folders?

Apr 1, 2020 3:52 PM in response to nts55

Agreed simplicity is best, which is why I am trying to clean all these images up and find one good workflow.

The reason I don't always use Photos is because of it's poor handling of RAW images. It is very difficult to work in RAW, especially since I work in Photoshop.

Right now the RAW images I capture are kept on my laptop while current, then stored in folders on an external hard drive.

The images I capture with the iPhone, I import using the Photos App, choosing Library as the destination.

It's a challenge to find one system to organize both formats, especially since some are personal, and some for professional use.

Once again, many, many thanks for your advice.

Apr 1, 2020 4:20 PM in response to nts55

The images I capture with the iPhone, I import using the Photos App, choosing Library as the destination.

But you've unchecked the 'Copy Files' option? Or do you selectively check and uncheck it?

If you're shooting Raw and have a professional interest, best to get a professional tool - like Lightroom, for instance.

Pictures versus Photos Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.