Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems installing iTunes update on desktop computer

Apple Software Update popped up to let me know there was an update available to download iTunes (iTunes 64). I usually download it manually because it never works the other way. Once I click on the installer, the process begins and it gets up to the "Welcome to iTunes" window, letting me choose whether I want to include an icon on the desktop, etc. Once I choose these options and click to start the installation, another window pops up with a message that says "All your music. All in one place. Import your favorite CDs with just one click.." etc. At the bottom there is a "Status" bar.

It doesn't seem to get beyond "configuring space requirements." The status bar looks like it's stuck at about 80%, and it's been this way for at least half an hour. Does it really take this long to install? It's gone a lot quicker for me in the past. I haven't installed any new software since the last update and I can't think of anything that would be conflicting with it. I know in the past people have mentioned antivirus software being a culprit, but I'm very reluctant to disable it... I don't want to end up with any viruses/malware on my computer.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 12:09 PM

What you're doing doesn't sound like updating to me, more like trying to install iTunes on a computer that already has iTunes on it.

From what I've read here in the past, it wouldn't surprise me if iTunes is trying to uninstall all the components of the previous installation, hence the conflict or delay. If you can stop the install, why don't you try doing it the Check for Updates way? it's always worked for me.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2020 12:09 PM in response to jessmac78

What you're doing doesn't sound like updating to me, more like trying to install iTunes on a computer that already has iTunes on it.

From what I've read here in the past, it wouldn't surprise me if iTunes is trying to uninstall all the components of the previous installation, hence the conflict or delay. If you can stop the install, why don't you try doing it the Check for Updates way? it's always worked for me.

Apr 1, 2020 1:34 PM in response to jessmac78

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Apr 1, 2020 3:03 PM in response to the fiend

Maybe I just assumed it was updating because the application/program calls itself "Apple Software Update", but I guess I can see how that would be misleading.

It does sound like you are onto something. Oddly, about 10 minutes after I started this post, it continued installing without any problems. I will keep your solution in mind for the future in case it happens again. Thank you!

Problems installing iTunes update on desktop computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.