Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has Apple included commercial fonts in its new templates?

The new templates are using commercial fonts unavailable to regular Pages users.

This is causing templates to fall apart.

I know you can substitute fonts, but that is a bad start to the "gorgeous" new templates. Apple should confine itself to fonts that are installed in the current macOS to ensure this does not happen. By all means expand the installed fonts to improve the selection, but do not fail to do both.

I've commented before on the competence of current Apple employees and the propensity to check their own work, so shall not do it again.

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 10:24 AM

Steps I have taken:

1. Updated Catalina to macOS 10.15.4
  2. Installed Catalina Utilities

When I opened the Pages 10.0 templates initially the extra fonts did not appear in Pages Font window.

I opened a new template and it however did not warn against missing fonts.

I opened Font Book and searched for Druk but it was not found. I closed Font Book and opened it again, switched to Smart Collection "English". Looking down the list I noticed many greyed out new fonts, especially for foreign languages but also for Latin fonts some of which I recognised from the new templates.

Right clicking on most let me Download them onto my MacBook Pro. Some oddly didn't initially have the option to download, but by going back to open a sample template, it seems to push it and the option to download shows up.

I have now worked down the list downloading all the missing new fonts I could find. I don't know if I have them all, I'll open all the templates to check.

There is a bug though in the Type Window in Pages, the Preview does not show the the Fonts. in either light or dark mode.

This seems to be undocumented. I can not find it in Help.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2020 10:24 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Steps I have taken:

1. Updated Catalina to macOS 10.15.4
  2. Installed Catalina Utilities

When I opened the Pages 10.0 templates initially the extra fonts did not appear in Pages Font window.

I opened a new template and it however did not warn against missing fonts.

I opened Font Book and searched for Druk but it was not found. I closed Font Book and opened it again, switched to Smart Collection "English". Looking down the list I noticed many greyed out new fonts, especially for foreign languages but also for Latin fonts some of which I recognised from the new templates.

Right clicking on most let me Download them onto my MacBook Pro. Some oddly didn't initially have the option to download, but by going back to open a sample template, it seems to push it and the option to download shows up.

I have now worked down the list downloading all the missing new fonts I could find. I don't know if I have them all, I'll open all the templates to check.

There is a bug though in the Type Window in Pages, the Preview does not show the the Fonts. in either light or dark mode.

This seems to be undocumented. I can not find it in Help.

Apr 1, 2020 2:40 PM in response to VikingOSX

This is the list of Catalina Fonts:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210192

It does not contain Druk or any of the other fonts I listed. Nor are they in my Font Book from a clean install of Catalina. I do not see Druk in the Affinity Apps, TextEdit nor LibreOffice.

I have looked in the System Library and User Font folders and they are not there either. Druk does appear in Pages Font panel however. The other missing fonts do not show anywhere, and not in the Pages Font Panel.

Are you seeing the fonts rendered, without the Font Missing Warning? Because they are definitely being substituted on my System.

Apr 1, 2020 10:47 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hit it immediately.

Druk** in the Edgy Novel template, I presume if they've done it once they'll have done it again*.

Hilariously it turns Shatter into Shatte.

An apt description of why not to do this.

*Just checked and they have done this in all the new "gorgeous" templates. Truth to tell the new templates are not a scratch on the Pages '09 templates which were more sophisticated and better laid out. These are typically only slightly better looking, than the dull post Pages '09 templates, because they use more interesting fonts unavailable without considerable further expense.

**$600

Apr 1, 2020 2:16 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

How can you embed a font you do not have?

Seems Apple's "designers" are extremely inexperienced, and not of the calibre they use for their own promotional work.

The team that produced Pages '06 through to Pages '09 actually showed some ability and showed off Pages for what it could do. The templates made Pages stand out well above Microsoft's efforts with Word.

Apr 2, 2020 6:59 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

In the list of fonts associated with macOS Mojave, there is a separate category named, Fonts Available for Document Support, that further states:

"These fonts are available only in documents that already use the font,

or in apps that request the font by name. Some are older fonts that were

included with earlier versions of the Mac operating system or Apple

apps."

Druk Heavy Italic is listed among this category of fonts.

However, all of the Druk fonts are installed here on Mojave 10.14.6 (18G4032),

/Library/Application Support/Apple/Fonts/iLife

On Catalina 10.15.4, and prior to upgrading to the Pages/Numbers/Keynote 10 applications, there is no Apple folder under Application Support in Catalina, and no obvious trace of Druk. Perhaps, I haven't opened a document there that requires the Druk font family, and it has not been automatically downloaded to accommodate. Still questions.

Apr 3, 2020 11:17 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Closed and reopened Pages twice and Fonts now preview in Type Window correctly.

It seems these fonts are in a specially hidden place that Apple has concealed. I can not find them in the system or inside the Pages package.

Reveal in Finder does not work in Font Book, however the fonts are generally available. I am able to use them in Affinity Designer and even convert them to bezier curves. So a bit of a long round about journey but a pleasant gift from Apple. :)

Apr 3, 2020 11:53 PM in response to VikingOSX

That is not the issue.

I am not sure which of the many steps I took is the key to getting Pages not to report the new fonts as missing (they should have been sourced online) but I did get past that point and have downloaded the fonts locally.

My comment on the quality of the new templates stands. The more I look at them, the sader they become.

The one standout in this upgrade is the ability to create Drop Caps. we will see a lot of unnecessary examples of this from now on. I do wish though they would fix the problems with CMYK colour specification, colour management, non-linear Textbox linking, merging, outlining and the massive slowdowns if there are too many objects in a document. I have managed to bring a 2019 Mac Pro to a crawl by introducing too may objects in Pages.

Why has Apple included commercial fonts in its new templates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.