Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just purchased a MBP today, which keyboard will I get?

I just pulled the trigger on a new MacBook Pro today but am second guessing based on all of the articles about holding off for the 2020 version, primarily around performance and the keyboard. Will I get an unreliable keyboard with my MacBook? Should I cancel my order?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 4:59 PM

If you purchased a 13-inch MacBook Pro, your MacBook Pro will have the backlit keyboard with a butterfly-style switch mechanism. The keyboard in the 2019 MacBook Pro have fixed the reliability issues that the 2016 and 2017 models had, but Apple will still replace the keyboard for up to four years after purchasing the notebook on the off chance that you have issues with the keyboard. However, many users have still expressed frustration with the minimal key travel of the butterfly keyboards. Personally, I don't mind the butterfly keyboard, but if you decide that you don't like the style of the keyboard, you can return your Mac for up to 14 days after receiving it.

If you purchased the 16-inch MacBook Pro, your MacBook Pro will have the much-praised Magic Keyboard. Nothing to sweat over here.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2020 4:59 PM in response to BinbrookJake

If you purchased a 13-inch MacBook Pro, your MacBook Pro will have the backlit keyboard with a butterfly-style switch mechanism. The keyboard in the 2019 MacBook Pro have fixed the reliability issues that the 2016 and 2017 models had, but Apple will still replace the keyboard for up to four years after purchasing the notebook on the off chance that you have issues with the keyboard. However, many users have still expressed frustration with the minimal key travel of the butterfly keyboards. Personally, I don't mind the butterfly keyboard, but if you decide that you don't like the style of the keyboard, you can return your Mac for up to 14 days after receiving it.

If you purchased the 16-inch MacBook Pro, your MacBook Pro will have the much-praised Magic Keyboard. Nothing to sweat over here.

Apr 1, 2020 5:28 PM in response to bumbleben0

bumbleben0 wrote:

opps sorry bumbleben0 — I meant to reply to the OP —duh 🤪

The 16" MBP (late 2019) and the new Macbook Air (early 2020) both sport the new Magic keyboard. This leaves behind the 3 generations of the troubled butterfly keyboard.

Return to an improved scissors mechanism.

"The new Magic Keyboard features a refined scissor mechanism with 1 mm travel for a responsive, comfortable, and quiet typing experience" https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-16/#keyboard

I can attest to my 16" MBP — the typing is incredible fast and responsive, a very satisfying experience. I would give it high marks.

The refresh of the 13" MBP has yet to happen... just saying.

Just purchased a MBP today, which keyboard will I get?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.