Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help - my emails look blank in Apple Mail

I'm having a big problem with some (but not all) of my emails coming up as blank in Apple Mail. If I forward the email to my Yahoo address I can read them fine so the information is there - but Mail won't display it. This seems to be worse with some senders than others, and seems to be affecting more and more senders as time goes by. Also, some emails appear mostly blank with just a few weird symbols (a square with a question mark inside).

So far I've installed the latest version of Catalina 10.15.4, gone through and deleted a bunch of old emails to clear space, tried rebuilding a sample mailbox, and disabled all my apps that install at login, but I'm still having problems.

If I reboot my Mac in safe mode the emails are all there and readable, but as soon as I go back to regular mode the problem comes back. HELP!!!

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 7:29 AM

JoYuen wrote:

I'm having a big problem with some (but not all) of my emails coming up as blank in Apple Mail. If I forward the email to my Yahoo address I can read them fine so the information is there - but Mail won't display it. This seems to be worse with some senders than others, and seems to be affecting more and more senders as time goes by. Also, some emails appear mostly blank with just a few weird symbols (a square with a question mark inside).

So far I've installed the latest version of Catalina 10.15.4, gone through and deleted a bunch of old emails to clear space, tried rebuilding a sample mailbox, and disabled all my apps that install at login, but I'm still having problems.

If I reboot my Mac in safe mode the emails are all there and readable, but as soon as I go back to regular mode the problem comes back. HELP!!!

If it is a corrupt plist you can try— quit the mail.app

and Delete the com.apple.mail.plist from Finder>Go>Go To Folder, copy and paste:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist 

relaunch the mail.app and test. The plist will automatically rebuild itself.

if no change you can always Control click the deleted .plist in the Trash>Put Back

If no resolve the next attempt—

Quit mail.

From the Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy & Paste:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Highlight all the contents in this folder. Place your mouse on the selection,

Then Control click (right-click) and choose "New Folder with Selection”. Do not move the new folder from this current location.

You can close the Finder window.

The next step will be to restart the Mac and test

After the computer is restarted, open the Mail.app> Preferences to see if it opens properly.

step by step hand holding, including pics:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251147316?answerId=252188310022#252188310022

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 7:29 AM in response to JoYuen

JoYuen wrote:

If it is a corrupt plist you can try— quit the mail.app

and Delete the com.apple.mail.plist from Finder>Go>Go To Folder, copy and paste:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist 

relaunch the mail.app and test. The plist will automatically rebuild itself.

if no change you can always Control click the deleted .plist in the Trash>Put Back

If no resolve the next attempt—

Quit mail.

From the Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy & Paste:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Highlight all the contents in this folder. Place your mouse on the selection,

Then Control click (right-click) and choose "New Folder with Selection”. Do not move the new folder from this current location.

You can close the Finder window.

The next step will be to restart the Mac and test

After the computer is restarted, open the Mail.app> Preferences to see if it opens properly.

step by step hand holding, including pics:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251147316?answerId=252188310022#252188310022

Apr 28, 2020 6:55 PM in response to leroydouglas

Aaaargggghhh... the fonts worked for a while but I'm back to the same problem again now! As before its mainly affecting Apple Mail, where I get little square boxes with question marks inside them instead of being able to see the text of an email that I've been sent. Seems to be worse with some senders rather than all, and seems to be worse with formatted emails such as those containing bullet points, specific font styles etc. I wonder if it's a problem with the system fonts on my machine?

And to the other question above I'm running Suitcase Fusion 20.0.7 and have just redone the two suggestions above (Apple Mail plist and preferences), have used Font Book to Restore Standard Fonts, have run FontDoctor to check for issues and done a restart. Help would be much appreciated!!!

Help - my emails look blank in Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.