Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I disallow the predictive text feature to access to my phone contacts?

The iOS native predictive text feature produces pretty poor results. Sometimes it’d be hilarious if it wasn’t so sad.

Now I’m not going to complain about Apple censoring my language or anything, as I get that that’s a tough topic in text prediction services. Also not going into how it would be fairly easy to apply basic semantics in addition to grammatical rules in order to not produce completely nonsensical sentences all the time. Or how the thing should please please learn that I don’t ever want to write “snd” but “and” because really no one wants to write “snd” that frequently. It’s ridiculous.

Instead, I’m after something very specific. I want to prevent the predictive text feature from accessing my phone contacts. I have a long address book with lots of people with interesting surnames, I get it. That doesn’t make it a good idea to suggest and apply them all the time, ahead of much more frequently used and semantically fitting terms.

I vaguely remember that ages ago when the feature first launched that there was a dialog asking me to grant it access to my address book. I deeply regret ever allowing this. Especially because there seems to be no way to reverse it. In addition to it messing up everything I’m writing, I also think of this as a data privacy concern. Give me control over my data.

Anyone an idea if/how I can disconnect Predictive from my address book data?

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 12:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 12:45 AM

The ideal outcome would be that I never get any contact name suggested when typing a text with the iOS native keyboard.

3 replies

Apr 2, 2020 12:18 AM in response to stationchief

I am unable to relate predictive texts and Contacts. Are you referring to keyboard predictive texts or something else?

There are three things I would like to mention here.

1. It would be better if you can please post a screenshot of the predictive texts, in order to understand the phenomenon better. Images / pictures speak louder than words.
  2. Contacts are neither stored locally on an iPhone nor in SIM. They are synced to an email account that you had Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other.
  3. When you want to type "and" and have typed "snd" erroneously then you have both the options to select from. Try ignoring the predictive text and continue typing and you will be amazed that "snd" is automatically replaced with "and".

If I can guess correctly what the is the issue that is being raised by you then the answer is...

What I have experienced is when you keep using the iPhone regularly the contacts with whom you interact recently and regularly will only appear here.

If you do not interact with a contact then it will disappear automatically.

However you may....

• To turn off Siri Suggestions, go to Settings  > Siri & Search, then turn off any of the following:
  1. Suggestions in Search
  2. Suggestions in Lookup
  3. Suggestions on Lock Screen

For a specific app, tap the app, then turn off Show Siri Suggestions.

Your personal information—which is encrypted and remains private—stays up to date across all your devices where you’re signed in with the same Apple ID. As Siri learns about you on one device, your experience with Siri is improved on your other devices.

• Siri is designed to protect your information, and you can choose what you share. To learn more, go to Settings  > Siri & Search > About Search Suggestions & Privacy.

Apr 2, 2020 12:30 AM in response to SravanKrA

This is about contacts’ names appearing in keyboard predictive text.

Thanks a lot for your response. 1. I’m not sure how to best screenshot something that represents this issue well tbh. Your 2. is plain wrong. Of course contacts data is synched and stored locally. And the problem with 3. is that it’s almost impossible to ignore predictive text when typing/swiping quickly. So I’m not amazed there. :(

How can I disallow the predictive text feature to access to my phone contacts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.