Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 13.1 - Clear History does not clear cookies!

Safari 13.1 is opened in non-Private window, and several websites navigated to.

All windows then closed but application left open.

History->Clear History->All History selected and OK clicked.

Safari->Preferences->Privacy->Manage Website Data... displays no cookies or other website data, as expected.

Safari closed.

Safari opened again and then Safari->Preferences->Privacy->Manage Website Data...

Displays cookies that should have been deleted when history was cleared.

This seems to be a regression - I remember this from a couple of years ago, and I've only noticed this again after the most recent 13.1 update.

Anyone else have this issue?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 2:45 PM

With Safari 13.1, when I choose Clear History : all history : clear history, and combine that with the Developer's menu : clear cache (option + command + E) — upon quitting and relaunching Safari, there are no cookies present in the Manage Website Data panel.

This will not be true if you have any open web page when performing the first paragraph — because the website will instantly reset its cookies when detecting they have been removed.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2020 2:45 PM in response to jhclare

With Safari 13.1, when I choose Clear History : all history : clear history, and combine that with the Developer's menu : clear cache (option + command + E) — upon quitting and relaunching Safari, there are no cookies present in the Manage Website Data panel.

This will not be true if you have any open web page when performing the first paragraph — because the website will instantly reset its cookies when detecting they have been removed.

Apr 13, 2020 7:10 AM in response to JJGraphics

One does not need to actually use the Develop menu, but it needs to be enabled in Safari Preferences : Advanced so that the keyboard shortcut option+command+E will work to clear the browser cache and cookies. This is not a bug, though it certainly is the result of poor application design.

Circa Safari 9, there was a single Reset menu item on the application menu that got everything done at once — without the need of the Develop menu. Apple continues its mission to remove functionality that works…

You can provide feedback to the Safari product team, but it is quite unlikely they will respond.

Apr 26, 2020 12:36 AM in response to DMBP24

No amount of fiddling overcomes this problem. It is definitely a bug which appeared with the Catalina 10.15.4 Supplementary Update and is still present in the latest Safari Technology Preview Release 105 (Safari 13.2, WebKit 15610.1.10).

If you are experiencing this problem, please report it to Apple here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html

The more people report it, the quicker it may get fixed.

Apr 28, 2020 6:23 AM in response to VikingOSX

There is not an answer, (to include the supposed answer; A; APPLE RECOMMENDED at top of this page)

…. it just needs to be fixed without any other procedures from Apple Customers.

I have found I just and only need to keep doing the CLEAR ALL HISTORY until it says upon reviewing NO DATA.

ie: about two to three repeats.

Click MANAGE WEBSITE DATA (see picture)

*after, From the BlackAppleTopLeft, Safari>Clear History>Clear ‘All History’ has been performed 2 to 3 times.

Hoping This Helps. @AppleTechSupport; Please repair for security’s sake.

Thank you.

Apr 12, 2020 1:41 AM in response to jhclare

Similar problem noticed here.

After going Safari > Clear History > all history, when I return to a website, which requires a sign-in, I find i am still signed-in from the last session there.

When I check in Safari > Privacy > Manage Web Site Data, I find a mass of stuff from previous browsing sessions has not been cleared. After several attempts, this action will eventually clear all the old data. Something seriously wrong here!

Apr 12, 2020 9:37 AM in response to jhclare

As the 2nd article points out, they are capable of regenerating after deletion with files that go to many parts of the system.

Safari/Browsers – can’t delete cookies.     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie

Evercookie.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evercookie

The myth of the dangerous cookie.     https://www.thesafemac.com/the-myth-of-the-dangerous-cookie/

Quit Safari.

In Finder go to Go menu and then Go to Folder.

Copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/Databases.

Delete the contents of the folder.

Launch Safari again and check if all is ok.

If that doesn’t work, copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage.

Delete the contents of the folder.

Then go to Safari/History and delete any entries for the related websites.

Test.

Apr 12, 2020 9:55 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric.

Already tried deleting the entire ~/Library/Safari folder.

Still the same problem. This did not happen before the recent update, but has happened in previous Safari releases.

Just tried again. It's only some cookies, and only some websites. Google in particular.

Have also tried this with Firefox and Chrome/Chromium and they delete all cookies as expected when clearing all history. So this is specific to this release of Safari.

Regards,

John

Apr 12, 2020 10:04 AM in response to JJGraphics

Hi,

Yes, it's very frustrating. Do Apple even bother testing things these days? They seem more concerned with the number of new emojis rather than fixing actual, problematic bugs.

I hope we see a fix soon. I really want to use Safari as my primary browser, it's great in so many ways, but major bugs like this simply make this impossible for me. The latest tracking protection also breaks Google Classroom images from displaying unless you turn off tracking protection.

Regards,

John

Apr 13, 2020 7:45 AM in response to VikingOSX

I haven't tried the Develop Menu option, but did go to Preferences->Privacy->Manage website data->Remove All.

This does appear to clear the cookies permanently, but History->Clear History->Clear All History should do this too, as it used to.

So:

1) Previous versions of Safari < 13.1, Clear All History does indeed clear all history and also all cookies, cache and website data.

2) Safari 13.1, Clear All History leaves behind cookie traces, which need clearing via a second operation, Manage website data->Remove All. Develop->Empty Caches also seems to work.

The point is, all other browsers clear history and all cookie cache data when Clear History or equivalent is performed. I'm pretty sure the same is intended by Safari's Clear All History, and that this is a regression.

I would say most people assume it would work this way, and not require a second operation to actually delete remnants left behind!

Apr 13, 2020 9:14 AM in response to jhclare

Apple is not restoring "used to work/previous" application behavior that has been obviously engineered out of the recent Safari functionality. The Preview application in OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.8) used to allow link annotation. On subsequent operating system releases, that link annotation capability was deliberately removed by Apple. That too, is not a bug, but rather a deliberate, yet inconvenient design omission.

The fact that Safari 13.1 does not have a single application menu Reset, that does everything, as it did several years ago, is Apple change reality, and a blight on functionality. It is not however, a bug, because Safari 13.1simply omits memory lane functionality.

Apple is not influenced by other browser capability to one click remove everything as noted in Firefox, which I also use.

Safari 13.1 - Clear History does not clear cookies!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.