Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook 2015 running slow (etrechceck inc)

Hi,

For the last couple day my 2015 MacBook pro has been running increbibly slowly, it’s essentially unusable at the moment. With Apple notes closed due to coronavirus I’m look fir for any help that anyone can give as I need for mac to work from home during the virus. It’s run like new until today.

Any help would be much appreciated. I don’t understand much technical talk abut can follow any instructions that anyone may able to give. I’ve included an Etrecheck report below, I don’t understand much of it!

Thanks again.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 1:06 PM

You need to find out what runaway process is using so much of your CPU resources:

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:

Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)

Other processes 311.81 % (?) <<<<----⚠️

EtreCheck 52.16 % (App Store)

cloudd 17.24 % (Apple)

trustd 9.22 % (Apple)

Spotify 2.06 % (Spotify)

That is huge, especially for a two-core processor.

As EtreCheck cannot identify it, please use the methods set forth in this Apple Support article:

See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity - Apple Support

Note: Steps 1 and 2 in that article are very important to getting useful information; don't skip either. As Activity Monitor's display is dynamic with the data changing every few seconds, a screenshot does not help much. Instead, watch the display and note what process names are consistently at or near the top and using ~20 percent or more of your CPU capacity. Post the process names you find doing that.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 1:06 PM in response to steelewerx

You need to find out what runaway process is using so much of your CPU resources:

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:

Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)

Other processes 311.81 % (?) <<<<----⚠️

EtreCheck 52.16 % (App Store)

cloudd 17.24 % (Apple)

trustd 9.22 % (Apple)

Spotify 2.06 % (Spotify)

That is huge, especially for a two-core processor.

As EtreCheck cannot identify it, please use the methods set forth in this Apple Support article:

See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity - Apple Support

Note: Steps 1 and 2 in that article are very important to getting useful information; don't skip either. As Activity Monitor's display is dynamic with the data changing every few seconds, a screenshot does not help much. Instead, watch the display and note what process names are consistently at or near the top and using ~20 percent or more of your CPU capacity. Post the process names you find doing that.

Apr 2, 2020 12:48 PM in response to steelewerx

As a test, remove     [Loaded] com.bittorrent.uTorrent.plist (BitTorrent, Inc - installed 2016-01-09) and see what happens.

Repair Disk (Storage device)     https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/repair-a-storage-device-dskutl1040/mac

Reset PRAM:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

To leave Safe Mode, click  in the menu bar and choose “Restart”

MacBook 2015 running slow (etrechceck inc)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.