Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore software on Apple TV via itunes

I am trying to restore my Apple TV via itunes. The software down loads in 3 minutes then the message "preparing apple tv for restore" appears. I am using itunes v12.10.5.12 on a PC running Windows 10. The Apple tv is connect to NBN via a network cable and my PC vis a USB C cable and a powewr cord. The Apple TV is model A1625 4th Gen HD 64GB. So far it has been preparing the apple TV for restore for 2 hours. How long should it take?

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 4:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 5:15 PM

“Preparing” should be short; minutes, not hours.

The Apple TV doesn’t need a network cable connection for itself when connected to a computer for servicing.

• Disconnect all cables from the Apple TV first.
  • Then connect USB
  • Then connect power
  • Then restore

Restore your Apple TV through iTunes - Apple Support

Verify that the USB-C cable that supports data transfer. Some cables that are bundled with other products or accessories might only support charging those products (and not transmitting data). Or they might work only with the product with which they were sold. 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 5:15 PM in response to Patreen01

“Preparing” should be short; minutes, not hours.

The Apple TV doesn’t need a network cable connection for itself when connected to a computer for servicing.

• Disconnect all cables from the Apple TV first.
  • Then connect USB
  • Then connect power
  • Then restore

Restore your Apple TV through iTunes - Apple Support

Verify that the USB-C cable that supports data transfer. Some cables that are bundled with other products or accessories might only support charging those products (and not transmitting data). Or they might work only with the product with which they were sold. 

Restore software on Apple TV via itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.