Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't restore folders from iCloud

My iCloud account kept nagging me that it was nearly full, so finally I agreed to "manage" the account by unchecking one of the items, Safari. After I clicked to save, suddenly everything on my desktop disappeared. The query appeared, "save deleted files to your mac?" which seemed odd, since i wasn't aware of deleting anything. I clicked yes, of course, but nothing happened. Then i noticed that my Documents file was empty. I rebooted, but nothing was fixed. I noticed then that Finder showed empty Documents and Desktop folders under Favorites, instead of under iCloud. Calmer now the next morning, I have checked my iCloud account through the web and see the missing Documents and Desktop folders, with all their contents. That's great, except that I am not allowed to download them. The only option I am given is to delete! How might I recover these folders intact?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 10:09 AM

I figured it out. The deleted folders were indeed saved on my mac, in a folder, iCloud Archive. Why didn't they tell me that's where they put them, instead of showing new EMPTY folders for Documents and Desktop under Favorites? It's as if I asked my wife if she wanted me to put the dishes away, she said 'yes', and then I took the dishes from the dishwasher and from the kitchen cabinets too, put them in all boxes labeled Kitchen Archives, and stored them in the attic, and then, as a finishing touch, I put signs on the empty cabinets, "DISHES."

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2020 10:09 AM in response to JYucca

I figured it out. The deleted folders were indeed saved on my mac, in a folder, iCloud Archive. Why didn't they tell me that's where they put them, instead of showing new EMPTY folders for Documents and Desktop under Favorites? It's as if I asked my wife if she wanted me to put the dishes away, she said 'yes', and then I took the dishes from the dishwasher and from the kitchen cabinets too, put them in all boxes labeled Kitchen Archives, and stored them in the attic, and then, as a finishing touch, I put signs on the empty cabinets, "DISHES."

Can't restore folders from iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.