Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dust or heat damage in bottom corners of display

Over a year ago my iMac Pro developed visual artefacts in the bottom corners of the display. It looked like grey dust or heat damage underneath the glass of the display. Apple replaced the display. Roughly a year later the problem has started appearing again. The computer is used in a very clean design studio. I can only deduce that there is a fundamental design flaw with these machines that allows heat or dust from the cooling system to damage the display. Has anyone heard of a more long-term solution rather than another display replacement?

iMac Pro

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 4:51 PM

Really the only option is see if Apple replace the display again or connect and use an external display. Without touching on design and air flow, keep in mind that the displays are out sourced from a third party supplier.

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 5, 2020 8:58 AM in response to jamespaulley

jamespaulley wrote:

I'll ask Apple about replacement. I think I'm still in AppleCare warranty.

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

This is an ongoing design flaw with iMacs, going back many years now. There are countless reports of this online. There is clearly some problem with the iMac design that draws dust in and under the display's glass.

I'm not going to agree, disagree or bash Apple here in the forums. However I will admit to being let down by the iMac's all-in-one design some years ago and moved away to the BYOD (bring your own display) lines.

Dust or heat damage in bottom corners of display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.