Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 Mac mini - sleep issue

Hi Everyone,

Since I applied the 10.14.6 update last week, my 2018 Mac mini can't be put to sleep when not in use. I put the computer to sleep and it goes into sleep mode. A minute later it shuts off and restarts itself. The apple message about the "restarted due to an error" comes up and I continue to send the report to apple.

All was working fine previous to this update so it is definitely the update that has caused this as nothing else has changed on my setup.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 9:15 AM

Yes, I've seen other reports of the same.

FWIW, I gave up on the Sleep function years ago. Ever since the inception of OS X there have been Sleep related issues. And even more lately. I just use Display Sleep and keep it set for 15 minutes so I'm not burning the screen. No put hard disks to sleep (they should spin down on their own after about 10 minutes of inactivity), no wake for network access.That way your Mac uses very little power over Sleep and is ready to use at the touch of a key without any grogginess. UNIX based systems were made to be always on and they’ve been running busy servers 24/7 for decades.

My own 2010 iMac has been used daily and has never slept a day in its life. It's still going strong.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2020 9:15 AM in response to PBGas

Yes, I've seen other reports of the same.

FWIW, I gave up on the Sleep function years ago. Ever since the inception of OS X there have been Sleep related issues. And even more lately. I just use Display Sleep and keep it set for 15 minutes so I'm not burning the screen. No put hard disks to sleep (they should spin down on their own after about 10 minutes of inactivity), no wake for network access.That way your Mac uses very little power over Sleep and is ready to use at the touch of a key without any grogginess. UNIX based systems were made to be always on and they’ve been running busy servers 24/7 for decades.

My own 2010 iMac has been used daily and has never slept a day in its life. It's still going strong.

2018 Mac mini - sleep issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.