Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Highlights / comments made in Preview not sorting by page number

Just refreshing axisflw2's post from 1/14/20. Posted below. Link here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251040827

I have the same issue. Spoke with customer service rep yesterday who helpfully tried to troubleshoot but he said that he was encountering the same issue and that he would internally flag for the engineers.

axisflw2 from 1/14/20:

"Recently, I've noticed that the highlights I made in Preview would appear in a random order in the sidebar (View>Highlights and Notes). This wasn't the case previously.

I contacted support and the staff on the other end sent me this pdf document to test the highlights. As you can see on the sidebar, the highlighted text are arranged in a very random manner. I highlighted the document incrementally (i.e. from page 1 down). So, the highlights are not sorted according to the time I made them.

I seem to recall not facing this issue before performing the update to OS Catalina. Wondering if anyone else faces this issue, or if there is a solution to this.

(Really helps to see my highlights in page order, college student with tons of pdf texts to go through here)"

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 1:51 PM

This has been posted several times by various authors and the end result is the ball is in macOS engineering's court. No user fixes, except to use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, which gets it right.

Similar questions

1 reply

Highlights / comments made in Preview not sorting by page number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.