Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview highlights and notes problem after updating to Catalina

After updating to Catalina, the Preview app now shows all the highlights and notes in my PDFs in a random order in the sidebar. Like many/most academics, I use annotated PDFs all the time, and this makes the app totally unusable for that.

Does anyone else have issues with PDFs after updating to Catalina, or come across a solution? This version of Preview is 11.0 (998).

Thanks.

ANdrew

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 7:41 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Oct 31, 2019 6:26 AM in response to andrewchubb

Hi there, andrewchubb.

I see that PDF's that you have annotated are displaying the annotations in an incorrect order after upgrading to macOS Catalina, and I'm glad to help.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and test how it responds. If it works while in safe mode, reboot normally and test again in your own user account. If not, continue to "How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac" below. 

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test a new administrative user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if it's system wide.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Dec 7, 2019 5:50 AM in response to andrewchubb

I also have this problem. I've noticed a strange pattern in which the highlights and notes seem to be organized according to position on the page; that is, highlights that occur toward the top of a given page are also toward the top of the sidebar while highlights that occur toward the bottom of a given page are toward the bottom of the sidebar. Do others see the same pattern?

Preview highlights and notes problem after updating to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.