Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview highlighting disappears after save/reopen

I just spent 4 hours highlighting relevant phrases in a PDF of a scientific paper using Preview (for a presentation tomorrow). After saving and reopening the file, most (but not all) of the highlights are gone. They also don't show in Adobe Acrobat Reader. Going back to previous versions (I saved frequently while working) does not help because most of the annotations that I had created before each save apparently disappeared during those save's as well.

I'll have to redo the work (in Acrobat this time). I'm not amused, especially because this problem seems to have been reported multiple times before. I would hope Apple addresses these kind of serious issues more quickly.

(Using macOS Monterey version 12.0.1 on an Intel-based iMac Pro)

iMac Pro, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 5:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 7:47 AM

Thanks for a quick response!

(I first re-did my actual work using Acrobat, just to make sure in view of my deadline).

After updating to 12.1 the highlights did not come back, as expected, but at first glance the disappearing problem is indeed solved. Starting from a fresh copy of the original PDF, I created about 20 highlights on different pages and they no longer disappear after saving.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2022 7:47 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks for a quick response!

(I first re-did my actual work using Acrobat, just to make sure in view of my deadline).

After updating to 12.1 the highlights did not come back, as expected, but at first glance the disappearing problem is indeed solved. Starting from a fresh copy of the original PDF, I created about 20 highlights on different pages and they no longer disappear after saving.

Preview highlighting disappears after save/reopen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.