Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

watchOS 6.2 draining battery fast

I have an Apple Watch Series 4. It has always had good battery life. I usually go to bed at the end of a full day with greater than 30% battery left, sometimes greater than 50%. I updated to watchOS 6.2, and next day my battery was dead by the middle of the day. I tried turning off and on, but it didn't help. I tried erasing the Watch and reinstalling the OS. Seemed back to normal the next day. But every day since then, the battery life has gotten worse and worse. It can no longer make it through the day.

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 6

Posted on Apr 3, 2020 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 5:42 AM

I have the same issue battery dies to quick nothing has been changed. Been on update 6.2 (17T529 ) the same day iphone 11 pro max update got the 13.4. The watch no longer last as long as it did. Noticed this started a happening , no apps have been added to the watch, no settings changed

140 replies

May 28, 2020 6:58 AM in response to yohinomura

I joined the watch battery drain club as well on May 18. I have tried all the things others have suggested with no improvement. Another weird thing with my watch, it will not allow me to change apps from grid view to list view. Hard pressing just makes em wiggle. Here is a link to report issues https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html I think we all need to report the bugs we are having.

Apr 27, 2020 11:18 AM in response to LoneWolfHeaven

While this is frustrating, this is not a forum for venting. Your post is too long, not easy to read, and not helpful for discussing the issue.

Stick to the facts.

• details of the issue you're having
  • the device(s) you have
  • the OS versions
  • what you're tried to resolve or have done to resolve the issue

Apple isn't reading these forums. They don't care about you. If you are angry, stop buying and using their products. That is the only way you'll get your point across.

Apr 6, 2020 8:52 AM in response to KingOfHuns

I'm having the same problem as well. 6S and Watch 2. The watch would generally last about 24 hours before going flat. Since installing this update it "goes flat" almost instantly. I tried it this morning after a full nights charge and it had "gone flat" in less than 5 minutes. I put gone flat in inverted commas because when I put it back on the charger it was fully charged in about 10-15 minutes. I tried it again, making sure I had shut all apps down on the phone and it lasted about 4 hours. Its almost like its not flat but somewhere in the software something is telling it to shut down?? Both watch and phone went through the full factory reset yesterday and set up as new devices.

Apr 6, 2020 3:16 PM in response to connorfromgrinnell

Today it's performing more like it used to. I've been wearing it for 10 hours, and have about 60% battery left. Yesterday, it barely made it through the day, barely a few percent batter left when I put it on the charger at the end of the day. Battery life is erratic day to day.

Maybe you are right and today's battery life is an indication that it's sorted itself out. I've owned multiple Watches going back to the original. I've updated the OS on these Watches many, many times. And I've never experienced this kind of battery drain after an OS update before.

Apr 8, 2020 1:53 AM in response to KingOfHuns

Try unpairing and repairing your watch through the apple watch app on your iPhone. It takes a while as it completely erases your watch and reinstalls everything back on, but it totally fixes the problem. At least it did for me.

It is important you keep your watch and iPhone close together as you unpair them so your watch is properly backed up.

Apr 8, 2020 4:11 PM in response to KingOfHuns

Have same problem series 5 haven’t had it two weeks it used to last all day and night. updated to 6.2 and soon as took of charger it dropped to 99% and battery life *****. I don’t have cellular I cut off display turned off background app refresh. Didn’t really help. I unpaired it today and repaired It. going update to 6.2.1 tonight since it came out and see what it does tomorrow.

Apr 9, 2020 5:31 PM in response to KingOfHuns

Similar issue.

Watch full charged (100%). Watch powers off ? time later and indicates to connect to power (sometimes I don't notice if I'm not listening to music).

Connect to power and battery shows sufficient charge (around 65%). Watch is on charger for a minute...no way it charges this quickly.

Noticed issue started around April 4/5.

Watch series 4, 40mm, GPS (purchaser July 2019).

watchOS 6.2 (17T529)

iPhone XS 13.4 (17E255)

During these crashes have been listening to music, or had a timer running. No other activity.

Only Bluetooth device connected is AirPod Pros.

Place on charger nightly.

Contacted Apple Support; remote diagnostics indicated no issues. Support rep asked if I tried to unpair my AirPods (I had not and thought that was a strange question...but maybe points towards the issue?).

Tried restating all devices. No resolution.

Have not tried unpairing or reinstalling watchOS.

All OS versions up to date as of yesterday (just noticed while doing research and writing this post, new updates released yesterday). Will try that while I wait for the repair box to arrive.

Apr 11, 2020 9:55 PM in response to KingOfHuns

Thanks for sharing. I have the same issue. The last time my apple watch battery drained very quickly , I got a tip to unpair and then repair the apple watch . It seems to work well after that. Please try and see if this works. A bit of a pain but during these Covid days, I guess worth trying. Battery should normally last around 40hours ++ all goes well.

Good luck. !!

Apr 11, 2020 10:04 PM in response to Tangowellness

Thanks, but this was the second thing I tried after a hard reset (holding both buttons until it restarted). It didn't help. I have also updated to watchOS 6.2.1 that came out the other day, and this hasn't helped either. I have had this Watch for a year and a half, and never had a problem with the battery before this update. I can not make it through a full day, and that's with me sitting around the house due to COVID-19 restrictions, if I were more active, it would probably be dying by mid-afternoon.

Apr 12, 2020 12:31 PM in response to KingOfHuns

I just installed the 6.2.1 update this morning on my 100% charged Apple Watch 5, and within an hour the battery drained to 50%. Now I've had it on the charger for 2 hours and it barely got to 90%. Why are the WatchOS updates so prone to draining the battery so quickly? I just got this watch on February 15, it's not even 2 full months old as of today.

watchOS 6.2 draining battery fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.