Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16 - frequent kernel panics

I just got a brand new MBP 16 which I've had for 5 days now, and in the last day I noticed it started kernel panicking after being asleep for at least an hour. It's generated the reports as attached below, with similar but not identical error messages.

So far, it seems to happen without fail assuming the machine is plugged in to AC and left alone for at least an hour. The logs suggest a GPU issue, so I closed the only app using the dGPU (Photos - curating album), ensured it was using the iGPU, but it still happened with a similar graphics message.

It's a a clean setup (no migration assistant), and I've moved over very little of my data yet and only installed a few major apps (Slack, Spotify, MS Office, unopened Adobe CC Photography suite). Hardware check came back clean, as did disk utility first aid, and resetting the NVRAM accomplished nothing. No external devices (HD's, monitors, etc) are connected.

Catalina 10.15.4, i9 2.3, Radeon Pro 5500M, 32GB RAM.

Any ideas of how to proceed or at least rule out hardware? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 5:11 AM

Similar questions

26 replies

Apr 5, 2020 8:14 AM in response to Benjamin_97

An update to anyone interested:

Tried an SMC reset. The first attempt (holding down the power button for ~10 seconds) did not fix it.

However, preliminary results suggest the second SMC reset technique (https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201295) including shift, control and option keys may have done the trick. Still doing further tests, but the first 2 tests have not resulted in a kernel panic, where before it would have panicked (i.e. both power nap and auto graphics switching on).

I used a terminal log to show past shutdown causes (log show --predicate 'eventMessage contains "Preious shutdown cause" ' --last 48h), and the code that tends to appear with my kernel panics is -20. Haven't found anything online about that code. However, a few times it exhibited a code of 5 - apparently a normally-induced shutdown, which is most definitely not the case.

I'll continue to monitor it, but for the first time in a few days I'm hopeful.

Apr 4, 2020 6:58 AM in response to Benjamin_97

Well, you’re aren’t alone. Your log is similar to other users who have 16 inch macbook pros with the same issue. Currently as far as I know there isn’t a stable solution.

all I can advise till a solution comes out is to close background apps if possible by right clicking the app in the dock and selecting quit.

even my 13 inch MacBook Pro hangs after waking up from sleep

Apr 7, 2020 2:20 PM in response to Benjamin_97

I am experiencing the same exact issue. Just recently got a new 16" MacBook Pro. I am noticing whenever it sleeps for a period of time it will kernel panic and restart with an error message. In my case, the problem occurs with eGPU, with regular GPU, and even when it's not connected to anything and just asleep in my carry bag. I will try the steps above and see if there is any improvement.

Apr 7, 2020 8:56 PM in response to justinfromclayton

Sorry to hear that, not exactly the entry into service we were hoping for. Unfortunately, after the initial positive signs from the 2 SMC resets, it started panicking again, and an OS reinstall (without wiping my data) hasn't changed anything. Your experience with the eGPU also causing the issue suggests it's maybe not related to a singular card, but rather how the OS collectively handles them. Far from the first time I've seen a sleep-wake cycle bug on Macs, but definitely the most consistent failure yet.

I've spoken to Apple and they've gotten me to send a whole host of system files over to their engineering team so we'll see if they have any suggestions - or if they treat it as a known bug to be fixed in the dumpster-fire that is Catalina.

Apr 13, 2020 3:39 AM in response to justinfromclayton

Got a call back from support, the engineers have identified a large number of GPU restart kernel messages from whatever software subsystem (eg photoanalysisd) is requesting the AMD dGPU. Other than that, they haven't found any specific issues. They want me to wipe and reinstall the entire computer, only loading things on one-by-one to attempt to isolate the problem to hardware or software. I'll keep you updated with the results.

Today is my last chance to return it, but I think I'll hang on to it and put my faith in Apple to replace it if it's hardware. Same boat as you, unconvinced it's a hardware issue, any updates on your end?

Apr 22, 2020 6:25 AM in response to topspin

Hope you have better luck with the new MBP. Keep us updated :)

I did two complete wipe and reinstalls from fresh, and at the very first possible opportunity the kernel panic happened again. Not sure what Apple Support will do with it now; I've lost faith in this laptop but completely unsure of exactly where the issue lies or if it's even fixable - even with new hardware.

Apr 22, 2020 6:29 AM in response to Benjamin_97

@Benjamin_97

Hi,

I did receive my replacement 16" MBP on Monday April 20th. No Kernel Panics all day on Monday. Feeling confident, I ddid a Time Machine restore on Tuesday. Still No Kernel Panics. :)

Today, wednesday, thus far I have not encountered any Kernel Panics. So things are looking good.

I am strongly considering moving all my work from my 2012 MBP to this 2019 16" MBP and making it my primary machine. I may wait a day or two to see though.

Apr 22, 2020 6:36 AM in response to topspin

Just make sure that all your stuff on your 2012 MacBook in terms of apps are 64 bit only. If you're moving files such as documents and pictures that's. If you were planning on dumping everything at one time from 2012 to your new 16" MBP I would be cautious of doing that as you may have a corrupt file/s that may cause instability. Not everyone knows if they have a corrupt file if they haven't cleaned out or erased the drive in a long time. Otherwise congrats on your success so far. You shouldn't have any more kernel panics. It's not really something that happens over time. If it's going to happen it will happen right away.

MacBook Pro 16 - frequent kernel panics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.