Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Link Speed vs. Transfer Rate

Hi,

I just purchased a WiFi 6 capable router (https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk852.aspx) to support my internet connection speed of 1 Gbps down and 250 Mbps up. However, after installing the new router, my speeds are virtually unchanged (~300 - 400 Mbps down and 250 Mbps up) on all devices ~ 6 feet away from the primary router with the satellite router unplugged.

I have confirmed my internet connection between my router and modem is receiving 1 Gbps down via ethernet cable.

In speaking with Netgear, they are claiming the 2017 iMac (and all my other Apple devices) are being limited by the hardware on the devices. They continue to refer to the "Link Speed" of 304 Mbps as the truth for the limitation, even though the adapter is claimed to be 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, which in theory should support 1300 Mbps. See here:

In looking at my WiFi transfer rates, I notice a discrepancy between Link Speed and Transfer Rate. See here:

1. What is the difference between Link Speed and Tx Rate?
  2. Is this faulty or non-standard compliant hardware on all of my Apple devices? I have the same result on a 2018 Macbook Air and my iPhone Xs, iPad Mini (latest version), and other iPads.

All devices, including router and Apple products have the latest firmware and software updates.

Thanks for your help.

KS

Kortney’s 27" iMac, iMac 27" 5K

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 6:40 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Apr 4, 2020 11:15 AM in response to kortneys

I have a TP-Link Deco 5 Mesh network that is 802.11AC coupled with a Comcast 1Gb connection. When doing a speed test on the Router I get the following speed.

When you check the speed on any individual device you never get more than 167 to 170 Mbs. Checking into the Mesh router under QOS it shows the bandwidth allotment to each client.

If I connect directly via ethernet to the modem it will show 500 to 650 Mbs.

As far as I can tell the Mesh router, at least on my system, is what is limiting the speed.

Apr 4, 2020 7:11 AM in response to kortneys

The reality is how that Netgear Orbi Wi-Fi 6 (Mesh) device is broadcasting its Wi-Fi, and how the Apple wireless chip antennae are receiving that Mesh signal, and probably needing to negotiating down from Wi-Fi 6 to Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac). The latter may be costing you the bandwidth that you expect.

Only someone in Apple engineering, using this model of Orbi, and with proper test equipement could likely shed factual details about what is happening in the negotiation between the Orbi and the Apple (broadcom) wireless chips.

Here is a 2016 Netgear article, using Windows as an example, that discusses Link Rate .vs. transfer speed.

Apr 4, 2020 7:26 AM in response to Jeff Donald

It is 4x4. Netgear claims I should be receiving at least 800 Mbps being only 6 feet away from the primary router. Additionally, I've changed the SSID on the router so that only my iMac is connected, eliminating other devices competing for the bandwidth.

What I keep coming back to is why is the link speed 304 Mbps? I want to find a non-Apple device and test.

Apr 4, 2020 8:53 AM in response to kortneys

While it is a valid question about link rate, you still have to ascertain the arcane handshake that is occurring between your Orby and the Mac. The particular Broadcom chip product specs will not explain how Apple is supporting the chip in the hardware abstraction layer with the Mac, and the operating system. Only Apple knows that, and they are not known for documentation.

How is the Orby handling any handshake with an 802.11ac client chip (hopefully a wave 2 chip) when it was expecting a Wi-Fi 6 Mesh peer? Is the Orby configured to use 160Mhz 802.11ac channels for improved bandwidth? The Orby may be using 8 antennaes per the 802.11ax spec which may only serve to confuse the Mac's chip, and lower link layer throughput. There is nothing you can do on the Mac side, but there may be further tuning (depending upon the Orby administration tool, to better accommodate the Mac handshake.

Apr 4, 2020 11:45 AM in response to kortneys

WiFi is very finicky in the sense that you may be 6 feet away from your router,

but what other "noise" is in your environment. That noise can be anything

from other nearby routers, poorly shielded high speed peripheral devices,

pretty much anything electrical that can generate high frequency signals,

especially older devices that may not have had to adhere to newer stringent

specifications. Also, at these frequencies, sometimes even how your furniture

is arranged and what it is made of can affect things, even when close.

The tests most manufacturers do at close distance is done in what is

known as a "Faraday Cage", which suppresses all extraneous radio

signals and other electronic interference, with just the transmitting

device and the receiving device just because of all the factors

mentioned above.

So, real world, just like raw CPU testing in computers, results will vary.

Link Speed vs. Transfer Rate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.