Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeps Restarting after Catalina UPDATE!

My iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017) keeps restarting after updating Catalina, HELP! I've tried, using Disk Utility to repair the disk, didn't work, tried wiping disk clean and reinstalling data from backup, didn't work, is there something else I can do before i have to wait 4-6 weeks to have the apple store or a certified apple tech assist with this problem?

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2020 11:09 AM

Please navigate to the Mac App Store or navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2020 11:09 AM in response to Why132

Please navigate to the Mac App Store or navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Apr 4, 2020 11:10 AM in response to Why132

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  3. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences, if needed, after resetting the PRAM.
  6. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally.  Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and Playing Safe - what does Safe mode do?
  7. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.  Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  8. Repair permissions on the Home folderResolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.
  9. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  10. Download and Install the macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Combo Update.
  11. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Install OS X then click on the Continue button.
  12. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:

1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.

2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.

3. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.

4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)

5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.

6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.

7. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Apr 10, 2020 2:45 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you, rkaufmann87 for directing me to the EtrCheck report. I took the suggestion and cleared the software that might've been causing my computer to restart. Helpful information. See report. Although the recommended deletion of these applications have cleaned my computer, the computer still restarts when it goes to sleep for too long. So now, as long as I'm using my computer, it doesn't restart, but if I leave it on say overnight, it locks into that dark blue screen as if it didn't turn off all the way, or didn't start up all the way. Still trying to find a solution, but thank you again.

Apr 4, 2020 12:55 PM in response to Why132

Uninstall any anti-malware software. You have two installed. Get rid of both of them: CleanMyMac and AdGuard. If you don't have uninstallers, then visit the developers' websites to see if they have an uninstaller you can download. Do not use Zoom. Communications both audio and video are not secure. Read Zoom Has A Dark Side — And An FBI Warning.

AdGuard and BitDefender have both been generating crashes. BitDefender is another anti-malware product you don't need that should be removed.

Basics for Uninstalling Software

Most OS X applications are completely self-contained "packages" that can be uninstalled by simply dragging the application to the Trash.  Applications may create preference files that are stored in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder.  Although they do nothing once you delete the associated application, they do take up some disk space.  If you want you can look for them at the above location and delete them, too.

Some applications may install an uninstaller program that can be used to remove the application. If you cannot find the uninstaller then you could download the freeware, Easy Find, to locate files that need to be removed. The places you need to search include:

1. /Home/Library/Applications Support/ folder. Check if the application has created a folder then delete the folder that's in the Applications Support folder.
  2. Applications may install a startupitem or a LogIn item. StartupItems are usually installed in the /Library/StartupItems/ folder or the /Home/Library/StartupItems/ folder.  Login Items are set in the Users & Groups preferences. Open it in System Preferences, then click on the Login Items tab. Select the item from the list and click on the Delete [-] button to remove it.
  3. Some software use startup daemons or agents.  Look for them in /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Library/LaunchDaemons/ or in /Home/Library/LaunchAgents/.

Some applications install a receipt in the /Library/Receipts/ folder.  Usually with the same name as the program or the developer.  The item generally has a ".pkg" extension.  Be sure you also delete this item as some programs use it to determine if it's already installed.

There are many utilities that can uninstall applications.  Here is a selection:

For more information visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on removing software.

Apr 8, 2020 8:51 PM in response to Why132

Well the report indicates you have made a mess of your computer by adding multiple third party antivirus apps and cleaning apps. Mac OS does NOT benefit from nor does it require any third party antivirus, cleaning or ANY other third party "maintenance" apps in order to run well. The best solution for keeping your Mac running well is to keep Mac OS up-to-date and otherwise LEAVE IT ALONE. If you want a slow, unstable and buggy Mac then keep those apps installed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for each of those apps and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode and restart again normally and retest.

Apr 10, 2020 2:54 PM in response to Kappy

Hello Kappy, thanks for responding. After following the helpful suggestions from individuals from this forum, I took the liberty of deleting the unnecessary computer cleaning software from my computer. Unfortunately, it still (but not as much) continues to restart. This time it only does it when the computer goes idle. I feeling like it may be causing (as suggested), a kernel panic. It does give me the error message "restarted or shut down because of a problem". Note that I have never have this happen in all the iMacs I've had, and I've had 3 off them (since 2007) and took pretty good care of them, so this is new. I'll do some research on what to do about Kernal Panics (as per your links) but any additional recommendations are always helpful.

Keeps Restarting after Catalina UPDATE!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.