Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Handoff is gone! and won't come back???

I'm using a 13-inch Macbook Pro (early 2015) with macOS Catalina 10.15.4.

I recently mailed in my device for anti glare coating issues, and I backed it up with time machine.

It had sensitive data in it, so I formatted the SSD before I sent. Right before I formatted the SSD though, I wanted to make sure the backup is good so I restored the time machine backup into a mac mini I have. After the restoration, a warning popped up about 2 macs using the same name cannot be in the same network and one of the names should be changed into 'MyMac'sName (2)'. I clicked OK.

Everything seemed fine. Handoff and other continuity features were fully functional on my mac mini. (which tells me that my backup was good in terms of handoff)

I mailed the macbook in, it came back and I restored my time machine backup into it.

Now, mac mini is restored to its own backup, and the macbook is also restored to its backup.

However, the handoff is no longer working on my mbp. Moreover, when I open System Preferences > General, There isn't even an option to toggle it on and off. I wanted to sign out from my icloud account but it won't let me. No warnings whatsoever. When I click the sign out button, it asks me if I want to keep a copy of some of the stuff(calendar contacts etc) and regardless of my answer, it just doesn't work.

Everything in terms of handoff works perfectly fine on mac mini.

Here's what I've tried so far;

-Restored from backup again

-Reinstalled macOS(while keeping the home folder)

-turning off and on the bluetooth/wifi

-re-pairing bluetooth with my iphone

-changing the computer name

-removing device from icloud using another device

-turning off each icloud service manually, then finally signing out of my icloud account from system preferences(this didn't work until I turn off everything, imessage, facetime etc. manually.)

-force deleting the contents of ~/Library/Accounts(later I restored from backup)

-deleting ~/Library/Preferences/MobileMeAccounts.plist (later I restored from backup)

-using "defaults delete MobileMeAccounts" code in terminal (I couldn't do anything to restore this because I don't know how. I just assumed this was the same thing with previous step)

Now all of these failed to bring back the option to turn on the handoff in system preferences, except for;

-Booting into safe mode.

When I booted into the safe mode, I got the option to turn it off and on but that's it. At this point I've ran out of ideas and online possible solutions. I hope someone else figured this out already because I've been trying to fix this for the last 6 hours and I am totally exhausted. Please let me know if you'd like to know any other details. I'm willing to try anything that'll save me the trouble to format everything and set up as new and get the files from iCloud. That's my last option.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 11:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 12:51 PM

Hello,

My problem was not just handoff. First I noticed handoff was gone. When I tried enabling it in System Preferences>General, the option wasn't even there. Then I tested in safe mode, it worked. When I tested on another user, however, it didn't work. Then I realized Airdrop is also gone. Same symptoms. I checked my bluetooth module through system report, and I saw the "Handoff support: No" which made me think maybe the module is broken but why would it even work in safe boot then, right?

I tried everything over and over again with slight differences, hoping to find a solution. Finally one day, as I was cleaning my keyboard, I realized if I press the power button, the mac freezes. and the only way to do something is a long press on the power button to force shutdown. I tried it couple more times and it was consistent. Then I realized it might be something with pram/sram?

I did a pram reset, then all the problems disappeared. I spent over 20 hours to fix this issue, but in the end I solved it with a 30 seconds solution. The weird part is I already tried it before, but it didn't seem to work on those attempts. This time I let it chime for 4 times or so. To make sure. I guess 2 chimes were not enough?

Anyway, my issue is gone now. I hope anyone else seeking the solution can fix it the same way.

Thank you for your answer!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2020 12:51 PM in response to Leanne_68

Hello,

My problem was not just handoff. First I noticed handoff was gone. When I tried enabling it in System Preferences>General, the option wasn't even there. Then I tested in safe mode, it worked. When I tested on another user, however, it didn't work. Then I realized Airdrop is also gone. Same symptoms. I checked my bluetooth module through system report, and I saw the "Handoff support: No" which made me think maybe the module is broken but why would it even work in safe boot then, right?

I tried everything over and over again with slight differences, hoping to find a solution. Finally one day, as I was cleaning my keyboard, I realized if I press the power button, the mac freezes. and the only way to do something is a long press on the power button to force shutdown. I tried it couple more times and it was consistent. Then I realized it might be something with pram/sram?

I did a pram reset, then all the problems disappeared. I spent over 20 hours to fix this issue, but in the end I solved it with a 30 seconds solution. The weird part is I already tried it before, but it didn't seem to work on those attempts. This time I let it chime for 4 times or so. To make sure. I guess 2 chimes were not enough?

Anyway, my issue is gone now. I hope anyone else seeking the solution can fix it the same way.

Thank you for your answer!

Apr 8, 2020 1:57 PM in response to serhatsolmaz

Hello serhatsolmaz,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having trouble with Handoff on your Mac. I'd be happy to share information that may help.

First, be sure your devices meet the requirements as outlined here: System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch.

Also, check out this article to ensure your settings are correct: Use Handoff to continue a task on your other devices.

Finally, open System Information, then choose Bluetooth in Hardware section of the sidebar. In the “Hardware, Features, and Settings” section on the right, verify that Handoff is listed as supported.

Take care.

Apr 13, 2020 8:44 PM in response to Leanne_68

Hello, Handoff is supported on my device. I have been using it for a long time without any issues up until now. I checked the links you provided but they are not really helpful. I know what is handoff and how to turn it on. It is just that I don't have the option to turn it on except for safe boot. It might be an issue with my iCloud account.

Handoff is gone! and won't come back???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.