Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble installing Final Cut Pro X trial

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro model which runs OS X El Capitan (Version 10.11.6). I'm trying to install a trial of Final Cut Pro, however 10.14.6 or later is required. I can't update to Mojave as it isn't compatible with my model (I believe only Mid-2012 upwards). Is there any way I can perhaps download a trial of a previous version of Final Cut Pro? I think it's a bit ridiculous if I have to invest in a new Macbook simply to run an application which used to be compatible with the one I have now. Surely there's another way round.

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 5:53 AM

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202826

there is a link to the trial version of 10.2.3 on this page. I believe it’s a 30-day trigal. You will not be able to update to the current version of FCP as the computer is not Metal capable.

3 replies

Apr 6, 2020 5:52 AM in response to sorchaa

I believe there is a trial of version 10.2.3, but I was unable to find it.

The application evolves and incorporates new features that are present only in newer versions of the OS.

I believe the last version that works in El Capitan is 10.3.4; your mac could run High Sierra and so also use Final Cut Pro up to maybe 10.4 or 10.4.1.

It is not possible to purchase the application directly on your OS, but there is a known workaround - you could purchase it if you have at least temporary access to a mac with Mojave or Catalina. Login to the App Store with YOUR Apple ID, purchase the application and delete from that mac. Then you can login to the App Store in your mac, click Purchased, then click to Download. You'd be warned that the current version is not compatible, and offered to get the latest one that is.

Trouble installing Final Cut Pro X trial

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.