Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Download a previous version of Final Cut Pro X Compatible with Mac OS 11.7.10

In spite of several erroneous responses to previous similar questions, there is no documented way to update/downsize Final Cut Pro X to an iMac running Big Sur. Surely Apple has some means of allowing paid Apple Clients of Final Cut Pro to access or download a previously compatible Version of Final Cut Pro X for Big Sur

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 5:34 PM

Click the button in the lower left of the App Store and sign into the store with the Apple ID used to purchase FCP. That will take you to the Purchased page.

Find the application on that page. As you already have a version installed you will see an Open button next to Final Cut Pro. Either move the current version to the trash or zip it and remove the version you have now. That should change the Open button to a cloud download button. If you click that it will ask you if you want the version compatible with your OS as you cannot use the current version.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2023 5:34 PM in response to dnyhagen

Click the button in the lower left of the App Store and sign into the store with the Apple ID used to purchase FCP. That will take you to the Purchased page.

Find the application on that page. As you already have a version installed you will see an Open button next to Final Cut Pro. Either move the current version to the trash or zip it and remove the version you have now. That should change the Open button to a cloud download button. If you click that it will ask you if you want the version compatible with your OS as you cannot use the current version.

Oct 18, 2023 5:52 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Huzzah!! Worked brilliantly Tom. A huge hat tip to your wisdom. Apple should read more of your responses here. In a moment of reckless enthusiasm--and hope--I deleted Motion and re-downloaded it from Cloud, and VOILA, another Apple application recovered! If that works consistently it appears I have a long night ahead of me in Big Sur's Launchpad.

Well done, Tom.

Apr 27, 2024 10:42 AM in response to dnyhagen

Hi all,

I am offered a similar prompt to the screen shot that dnyhagen posted below, when I click "update". Aka, it asks if I wish to update to a previous version compatible with my BigSur MacBook. If I select "download" previous version, nothing happens and the prompt remains. I have tried this several times, updated to the latest bigsur and nothing changes. I am interpreting the advice on this thread to be that I should delete FC, and then select a new download. I am hesitant to do this as I fear apple will simply have a bug and I will never be able to have FC again without buying a new MacBook. Has anyone had success with the delete and download advice when they experience the same issue as me, logged in under their ID that purchased FC, etc, etc? Seems to me that the App Store update prompt should work, and if it is buggy, then how can I trust that putting my faith in it won't cause a complete loss of my purchase? Thx.

Download a previous version of Final Cut Pro X Compatible with Mac OS 11.7.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.