Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external HDD

i can't see my external hdd in disk utility. so i can open my external hdd or format my external hdd.

but in "about this mac>storage" and "system information" u can see detail and external hdd.

so how can i format my external hdd or open external hdd ?

i already change the old USB to new USB cable. but still can't showing at disk utility and finder.

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 5:41 PM

Within Disk Utility click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Then erase the physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled).

7 replies

Apr 8, 2020 10:03 AM in response to wanbotak

Were you able to see the physical drive in Disk Utility? I'm not sure how it would appear named, but there is a possibility the physical drive will appear as "Genesis Logic...." (I took the name from your screenshot of the System Profiler). Here is an Apple article showing the procedure including screenshots (I've linked directly to the relevant portion of the article):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496#scheme

If you did see the physical drive did Disk Utility have an error when erasing the drive?

In rare cases some external drives just are not compatible with a Mac.

external HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.