Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to change download music folder in Windows

I have been trying for a year already, but so far no luck.

I am running iTunes 12.10.5.12 on Windows 10 Pro (latest build).

I have changed the settings as follows:

Edit > Preferences > Advanced > iTunes Media Folder Location: Hit the Change button.

Changed to another folder on another drive.

Ticked 'Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library'

Did not tick 'Keep iTunes media folder organized

Click OK.

Restart iTunes.

Next time I download a newly purchased song, it goes into the old folder: C:\Users\<username>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\...

I have tried this at least 10x, and the same results.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks

FW

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 7:34 AM

Turns out all I needed to do is hold down Shift while starting iTunes. This opened the dialog where i could select the new library location. Still, I needed to copy the *.itl file from the old location to the new so that it could be selected in the new location.

I recall having used this procedure some time ago, but hadn't documented it. Now I have it documented, so this shouldn't be an issue next time I have to re-install iTunes.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2020 7:34 AM in response to turingtest2

Turns out all I needed to do is hold down Shift while starting iTunes. This opened the dialog where i could select the new library location. Still, I needed to copy the *.itl file from the old location to the new so that it could be selected in the new location.

I recall having used this procedure some time ago, but hadn't documented it. Now I have it documented, so this shouldn't be an issue next time I have to re-install iTunes.

Unable to change download music folder in Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.