Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cant turn off mute button - nor turn up the volume on my mac book air

My Macbook Air is muted and the mute button is disabled in the Sound are of System Preferences. Also, the buttons to increase/decrease/mute sound no longer seem to be working. What do I do to fix this?

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 6:54 AM

I assume that the Mute option is NOT checked in System Preferences, Sound, Output. Sometimes the descriptions of toggle switches can get confusing.

Have you tried turning it on (mute) and then trying the sound keys? Maybe, it's reversed itself? Or, try an on and then off?

Have you tried holding down the fn, function key, while pressing volume keys — i.e., F10, F11, F12? It could be that an option under Keyboard, Keyboard, i.e., Use F1, F2, etc. as function keys is checked ON when it should be off!

Have you restarted the computer?

IIRC, one of those PRAM or NVRAM resetting key combos is supposed to handle and restore sound, too. So, that's another option to try. You may end up having to manually restore some settings afterwards (time, network, etc.), but it,d be worth it to get your sound back.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2020 6:54 AM in response to crowleypf

I assume that the Mute option is NOT checked in System Preferences, Sound, Output. Sometimes the descriptions of toggle switches can get confusing.

Have you tried turning it on (mute) and then trying the sound keys? Maybe, it's reversed itself? Or, try an on and then off?

Have you tried holding down the fn, function key, while pressing volume keys — i.e., F10, F11, F12? It could be that an option under Keyboard, Keyboard, i.e., Use F1, F2, etc. as function keys is checked ON when it should be off!

Have you restarted the computer?

IIRC, one of those PRAM or NVRAM resetting key combos is supposed to handle and restore sound, too. So, that's another option to try. You may end up having to manually restore some settings afterwards (time, network, etc.), but it,d be worth it to get your sound back.

I cant turn off mute button - nor turn up the volume on my mac book air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.