Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Targeted network attacks

My Mac is generating sporadic targeted network attacks; at least, that is what my Xfi router's firewall threat alert system is telling me. Ranges from once per night to every few hours. I cannot find a tool to identify the source of these attacks; I've scanned with Norton and Kaspersky, and now have installed Little Snitch, which I was hoping would identify the accesses to wifi, but it does not seem to do that. I did a clean install over the weekend, but whatever the source is must be within my applications or library or user files I ported over, because it is persisting. How can I track the source in my computer of these attacks and get rid of it?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 3:19 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 7, 2020 7:06 AM in response to Mark LeBar

Collectively, your fellow users (us) have been recommending users remove any anti-virus software from their Macs, and years of evidence in these communities indicate that doing so clears up a most false a/v reports, unexplained, or performance robbing issues that users have reported occurring on their Macs.

Kaspersky certainly got its share of visibility in the world press, and in these support communities, as one that transmits information from client computers to the Russian government. That might be the source of your internal generated packets, or you may have unsuspectingly installed software that also included bitcoin mining code. As there are no viruses found on Macs (though many will label malware/adware as "viruses") — it makes no sense to have anti-virus software installed. The operating system has its own built-in security.

Apr 7, 2020 5:19 AM in response to Mark LeBar

A long time ago, with a version 5.x of the Airport Utility, one could see a log of all the IP addresses bouncing off of an AirPort Extreme Router. Many of these, even at that time, could be traced to China, or just Internet-facing servers bouncing their request packets off my router. Harmless, once understood.

This is just dust in the wind as Kansas would state in their lyrics, and not specific targeted attacks. It is why your router light blinks when you think it should not, as all those Internet packets bounce off your router, on their way elsewhere.

Among the worse things you can install on a Mac is any anti-virus tool, which has nothing but false reporting to offer.

Apr 7, 2020 6:25 AM in response to VikingOSX

I suppose I'm not convinced that there is no value to anti-virus tools, but they sure haven't helped with this issue. The other question, which you touch on, is what the router is doing. I can see the logs for the firewall and they are definitely recording something, and they are definitely locating the source as my MBP. It sees them and records them as targeted attacks (outbound), and apparently blocks them. So I don't see that any harm is done in any event. And it does not see such attacks coming from my wife's MacBook, so I'm inclined to think there is something fishy lurking in my system somewhere. But I do take the point that this is not a critical issue, to the extent it is an issue at all. But I'd still like to be rid of whatever it is.

On the anti-virus issue, is there evidence that these are useless? (Norton was worse than useless, so I've dumped it. I can consider dumping the Kaspersky.) The labs and reviews suggest not, but if it's all smoke and mirrors I'd be happy to be rid of them. However, having this this going on doesn't do much to reduce my sense of vulnerability.

Apr 7, 2020 1:41 PM in response to Mark LeBar

The only anti-virus type app I would recommend on a Mac is MalwareBytes. It did a great job of cleaning up a client's malware infected system. Personally I would not run real-time scans, but would only use it if you suspect malware on your system. The free version does not perform real-time scans after the trial period has ended.

Our organization is required to use an anti-virus product on our Macs and we have tried them all. None of the traditional AV products work and they all cause some type of macOS issue and performance issues. It is even impossible to find a good AV product for Windows these days (it is bad when Microsoft's AV solution may be the "best"). I lived with AV products while using Windows because at the time it was a necessity due to poor Windows' security, but these days AV products are just as bad as the malware & other threats since the AV apps collect and sell personal information and push ads.

Have you run EtreCheck? You can post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

The best way to be sure your system is clean would be to perform a clean install of macOS and only migrate your user account and data. Reinstall everything else.

Apr 8, 2020 6:17 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the ideas. I didn't know about EtreCheck at all, but I will certainly check it out. In the meantime, I had no attack events last night, so I am increasingly thinking that it was the Kaspersky software itself that was causing them, though their tech support insisted it was not.

The prospect of doing a clean install without applications is truly daunting. That would really be a last resort, because it would take days to get access to and reinstall all of the applications I have and use. With any luck, the Kaspersky stuff was the culprit and I will have discovered what apparently a lot of people already knew about AV software.

Targeted network attacks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.