Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina & searching music library design

I have managed to set my iTunes so that it defaults to the Song List view but want to search it and display in that view – the straight comprehensive LIST function as it presents in SONGS.

I have tried to search my library and while I can search the songs WHILE on the list it defaults back to the hideous two-column format. So if i am listening to a piano concerto, the first movement is in one column, the second on the other column, the third in the first column. Depending on what I'm looking for I have to try to guess the ordering and then look to the right column first because it breaks up collections.

And of course I get it, it's designed to be useful if you're searching Apple Music subscriptions but it's a nightmare for the library. You get fragments, albums etc. and have to click Songs to see that list. The design is awful.

Any suggestions on how to be able to search in the song list and keep the format of the song list would be helpful.

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 10:54 AM

The design is awful.

Any suggestions on how to be able to search in the song list and keep the format of the song list would be helpful.

Don't use the search bar at the upper left. It is indeed, as you note, awful.

Rather, go to View > Show Filter Field. When the new bar comes up at the upper right, use it to do the search.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2020 10:54 AM in response to JBS6267

The design is awful.

Don't use the search bar at the upper left. It is indeed, as you note, awful.

Rather, go to View > Show Filter Field. When the new bar comes up at the upper right, use it to do the search.

Catalina & searching music library design

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.