Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a deleted contact still coming up when I type their name into messages

I deleted two contacts from my contact list.  I then went into my iMessages and deleted all conversations with these two contacts. I also did this on my iPad and iMac.  I also went into the contact list in iCloud and they do not show up there.    Gone, all gone!    To double check that I could no longer see them I started typing in the name of one of them in a New Message on my iPhone and there he was. I typed his name in New Messages on my iMac, he didn't come up but when I typed in his phone number his name and number came up for me to message him. There had once been a joint conversation with the two deleted contacts and that is what shows up on my iPhone when I type in his name. I can block them individually, but I can't delete them on my iPhone however it looks like I can't do it either on my iMac.   How can I delete these people for good off all my devices?  

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 10:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 10:59 PM

What I have experienced is when you keep using the iPhone regularly the contacts with whom you interact recently and regularly will only appear here even if you have deleted the contact and their messages.

If you do not interact with a contact then it will disappear automatically over a period of time.

However you may....

• To turn off Siri Suggestions, go to Settings  > Siri & Search, then turn off any of the following:
  1. Suggestions in Search
  2. Suggestions in Lookup
  3. Suggestions on Lock Screen

For a specific app, tap the app, then turn off Show Siri Suggestions.

Your personal information—which is encrypted and remains private—stays up to date across all your devices where you’re signed in with the same Apple ID. As Siri learns about you on one device, your experience with Siri is improved on your other devices.

• Siri is designed to protect your information, and you can choose what you share. To learn more, go to Settings  > Siri & Search > About Search Suggestions & Privacy.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2020 10:59 PM in response to FabricandFelt

What I have experienced is when you keep using the iPhone regularly the contacts with whom you interact recently and regularly will only appear here even if you have deleted the contact and their messages.

If you do not interact with a contact then it will disappear automatically over a period of time.

However you may....

• To turn off Siri Suggestions, go to Settings  > Siri & Search, then turn off any of the following:
  1. Suggestions in Search
  2. Suggestions in Lookup
  3. Suggestions on Lock Screen

For a specific app, tap the app, then turn off Show Siri Suggestions.

Your personal information—which is encrypted and remains private—stays up to date across all your devices where you’re signed in with the same Apple ID. As Siri learns about you on one device, your experience with Siri is improved on your other devices.

• Siri is designed to protect your information, and you can choose what you share. To learn more, go to Settings  > Siri & Search > About Search Suggestions & Privacy.

I have a deleted contact still coming up when I type their name into messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.