Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto

Im trying to open iPhoto for MAC but its giving me an error message saying "iPhoto isn’t supported in this version of macOS. Please upgrade to Photos." When i click "OK" is disappears, if i select learn more an article about "32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later" opens. I need to know how i can retrieve the photos within this app because im currently unable to open and the photos within the app are my only copy.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 8:07 AM

4 replies

Apr 8, 2020 9:01 AM in response to jasmen240

See: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS – Apple Support

Make a backup copy of your iPhoto Library, before you try to open it in Photos - you wrote, "the photos are your only copy", so it will be safer, to keep a backup copy, just in case the first attempt to convert your iPhoto Library should go wrong. And if your iPhoto Library should be on an external volume, check, if it is compatible with Photos. Photos cannot work with a library on a volume, that has been used for Time Machine backups. The file system format should be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS.

Apr 8, 2020 9:00 AM in response to jasmen240

iPhoto was discontinued more than 4 years ago. It is no longer developed or sold. It was replaced by the more powerful (and free) Photos.app that comes with the OS. You can migrate to that app very simply:

Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and point at your iPhoto Library. It will do the rest.

If you prefer not to use Photos there are several 3rd party apps that you can use. Which to choose depends on the kind of photographer you are and your budget.

iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.