Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad mini 2 with IOS 9.3.5 won't connect to Catalina 10.15.4 (19E266)

My Mum's iPad 2 won't sign in to FaceTime any longer, since we tried a FaceTime call with Catalina on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). iPad is running IOS 9.3.5.

Error is "Verification Failed" - "Your Apple ID or password is incorrect". This error is not correct ; the Apple ID and password are the same as that used for other Apple services on the machine.

Please help - my mum's 85 and self-isolating so we can't see her - I need her iPad to work!

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2020 8:30 AM

Hi nelly111s,

I’m glad to hear she was able to get signed in. Just to verify, does it only crash Group FaceTime? Can she accept and make FaceTime calls to just one individual? What about Group FaceTime audio calls? If so, this is expected behavior. ‘To use Group FaceTime video calls, you need iOS 12.1.4 or later, or iPadOS on one of these devices: iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro or later, iPad Air 2 or later, iPad mini 4 or later, iPad (5th generation) or later, or iPod touch (7th generation). Earlier models of iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch that support iOS 12.1.4 can join Group FaceTime calls as audio participants.’ This article has more info:

Use Group FaceTime on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

To verify if she is indeed using an iPad mini 2 and not an iPad mini 1, have her enter the serial number in the following link:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage

This can help you confirm what device she has and what FaceTime options are available to her. If it’s a first gen iPad mini one, she is on the latest iOS and will need to use a newer device to do a video Group FaceTime. 

Best wishes.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2020 8:30 AM in response to nelly111s

Hi nelly111s,

I’m glad to hear she was able to get signed in. Just to verify, does it only crash Group FaceTime? Can she accept and make FaceTime calls to just one individual? What about Group FaceTime audio calls? If so, this is expected behavior. ‘To use Group FaceTime video calls, you need iOS 12.1.4 or later, or iPadOS on one of these devices: iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro or later, iPad Air 2 or later, iPad mini 4 or later, iPad (5th generation) or later, or iPod touch (7th generation). Earlier models of iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch that support iOS 12.1.4 can join Group FaceTime calls as audio participants.’ This article has more info:

Use Group FaceTime on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

To verify if she is indeed using an iPad mini 2 and not an iPad mini 1, have her enter the serial number in the following link:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage

This can help you confirm what device she has and what FaceTime options are available to her. If it’s a first gen iPad mini one, she is on the latest iOS and will need to use a newer device to do a video Group FaceTime. 

Best wishes.

Apr 10, 2020 8:14 PM in response to nelly111s

Hey there nelly111s,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand family member is having issues signing into FaceTime on her iPad mini 2. I’ll be happy to help with this.

If she has the iPad mini 2, she may be able to update to a more recent iOS version. Have her backup and update her iPad using the steps here:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Force close FaceTime and restart her iPad after that:

How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Restart your iPad

Then try signing in once more. If she runs into further issues, review the steps here:

If you can't sign in to your iMessage account or FaceTime on your Mac

Regards.

Apr 11, 2020 10:15 AM in response to nelly111s

Hi nelly111s,

If the device is an iPad mini 2, it should be able to update to iOS 12.4.2. The original iPad mini can only go up to iOS 9. If you’re certain this is an iPad mini 2, you may want to attempt to update once more.

Also, if she is still running into sign in issues, have her attempt to sign into the Apple ID in the following link: Manage your Apple ID

If she cannot sign in, change her password and see if that helps:

Change your Apple ID password

If she can sign in there, does she have two-factor enabled? If so, she may need to generate a two-factor code and enter that code immediately after her password to sign in on an older iOS version. This link can help her get a code if she needs:

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication

Take care.

Apr 11, 2020 5:22 AM in response to nelly111s

I backed up the iPad and reinstalled it from scratch. However, I know that it's already at 9.3.5 which is the latest IOS version that it supports. However, the issues still remain, even with the latest supplemental patch of Catalina. If I connect to my mum and add one more member to the call, FaceTime crashes. We tried via Facebook Messenger today - it worked! Why won't FaceTime?

Apr 12, 2020 2:57 AM in response to raina_b22

I updated her password and I can now sign back in to FaceTime, but the problem still remains - an incompatibility between Catalina and 9.3.5. Her iPad won't update to any newer IOS than 9.3.5.

So I'm faced with the same problem, she can sign into FaceTime, but a Group FaceTime does not work and crashes FaceTime on my Catalina iMac (crashes it without and error warning, either - it just drops the conversation).

Apr 13, 2020 2:56 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Joseph,

Originally, the Group FaceTime was exactly as you describe - mum only had audio. I hadn't realised that this was "expected behaviour" and never even thought to check (my bad).

Post this, we ran into problems with the pre-update version of Catalina crashing her iPad.

Temporarily, we've used Messenger and mum has decided to upgrade to an iPad Air, so that "should" fix the issue. It's just a bit frustrating that she has had to spend £500 (especially in the current climate in the UK) to cure the problem due to lack of compatibility.

iPad mini 2 with IOS 9.3.5 won't connect to Catalina 10.15.4 (19E266)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.