Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages and FaceTime Won't Sign In

Hi there, I just reformatted and updated my laptop to Catalina and I am facing issues with signing in to my FaceTime and Messages.

They give me errors, for example: an error occurred during authentication (Messages) and this account has no reachable addresses (FaceTime).

I am very sure that I have entered my password and ID correctly.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 12:45 PM

Hi,

Ok. Do a NVRAM reset next

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063

This resets some things that are not reset with an ordinary Start up.

It will not effect any of your data.

If this does not work you may need to phone Apple Support (Apple Care) and ask someone to check if the iMessages Server is blocking your computer.

The Server can sometime "think" that too many attempts have been made from On device and block it making connections.

You may need to ask to be pushed higher up the chain of Responders becuase First Level Responders do not always have permissions to look at the server info.

Ralph

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2020 12:45 PM in response to Merryful

Hi,

Ok. Do a NVRAM reset next

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063

This resets some things that are not reset with an ordinary Start up.

It will not effect any of your data.

If this does not work you may need to phone Apple Support (Apple Care) and ask someone to check if the iMessages Server is blocking your computer.

The Server can sometime "think" that too many attempts have been made from On device and block it making connections.

You may need to ask to be pushed higher up the chain of Responders becuase First Level Responders do not always have permissions to look at the server info.

Ralph

Jun 8, 2020 1:51 PM in response to Merryful

HI,

Have you had other Alert Messages from other apps about "trusting this Computer" or other ones that indicate that the Servers at the other end think this is a "New" computer ?

First of all go to System Preferences > Date and Time and set the Time Zone to your nearest city.

Check Bluetooth is On.

If the Firewall (in Security and Privacy) is On you might want to try allowing the two apps.

After trying the other items one at a time try going to the Network pane and renewing the DHCP lease.

Ralph

Jun 9, 2020 4:18 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi again,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried what you mentioned and sadly it didn't help. I am still facing the same errors.

I would like to mention that I don't have any issues on my iPad regards to both applications, they work just fine. This is only on my laptop. Also, I don't own an iPhone and I haven't registered a phone number with my icould account. Is there anything else I can do to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

Messages and FaceTime Won't Sign In

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.