Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"bash" request to allow Full Disk Access on Catalina

Is it normal that "bash" (hidden file from: Macintosh HD/bin/bash to request Full Disk Access on "Security & Privacy/Privacy/Full Disk Access"?

In addtition, I've never seen such a thing before.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 6:39 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Apr 9, 2020 6:42 AM in response to JeanReni

JeanReni wrote:

Is it normal that "bash" (hidden file from: Macintosh HD/bin/bash to request Full Disk Access on "Security & Privacy/Privacy/Full Disk Access"?

In addtition, I've never seen such a thing before.

Yes this is normal in Catalina

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210650

Apr 9, 2020 8:05 AM in response to JeanReni

JeanReni wrote:

In my case it's not "Terminal", but bin/"bash" only requesting access.

First of all what is "bash", and should I allow Full Disk Access on my Mac; what if I not do?

yes, this is your current shell.

Shells on your Mac or any other operating system, are user interfaces that allow you to access an operating system's services. ...

On a Mac, you can call up a shell by using the Terminal. app. This application creates a window that presents the user with a shell in which they can type and run commands

Apr 9, 2020 9:58 AM in response to JeanReni

For a less "initiated" guy, what's that means?

For, if I decide not to grant Full Disk Access to "bash", what will happen?

When using the Bourne Again SHell (bash) in Terminal, you can access all of the locations on the drives.

If you receive the original message out of the blue, and you weren't using Terminal, then some process that was running attempted to run some shell command in Unix that needs access to some file location on the startup drive.

Might be reasonable to figure out what wants that access before granting it, but it is likely harmless.

Determining exactly what it is may prove extremely difficult.

"bash" request to allow Full Disk Access on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.