Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot download Catalina from App store

I have a late 2014 Mac Mini with sufficient memory and space to run Catalina. Currently I am running 10.11.6 El Capitan. I want to upgrade to Catalina. But whenever I try to download it from the app store, it only downloads for a short while and then nothing ever appears in my downloads, or on my desktop, or anything I can do to install Catalina. It seems like nothing is being downloaded at all. Where can I get Catalina? Do I have to upgrade to Mojave first?

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 6:18 AM

I just found something online that says you can just download it here: https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

I downloaded the combo update for Catalina if you click on Mac OS.

Its currently downloading, so I'll keep you update and give it a try to see if it works.

34 replies

Apr 9, 2020 8:14 AM in response to ebedgert

This is Apple's advice;

If you're using OS X El Capitan v10.11.5 or later and your App Store preferences or Software Update preferences are set to download new updates when available, macOS Catalina will download conveniently in the background, making it even easier to upgrade. A notification will inform you when macOS Catalina is ready to be installed. Click Install to get started, or dismiss the notification to install later. When you're ready to install, just open the file named Install macOS Catalina from your Applications folder.

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.15.4; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 6.2; iPad Air 2, ipadOS 13.4; iPhone 8+, iOS 13.4; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 13.4;  HomePods, audioOS 13.4 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Apr 9, 2020 9:25 AM in response to macjack

It's not there.

I've tried to install this thing from the App Store like 6 or 7 times since yesterday. When I click Download, it appears to start downloading something (at least, the little spinning icon spins for a bit), but then it stops spinning and nothing happens. There is no sign of any download in progress. And there is no Install Mac OS Catalina anywhere.

I haven't any problem updating other apps from the App Store. It's just this one that doesn't want to download. I have plenty of disk space.

Apr 9, 2020 10:37 AM in response to ebedgert

The macOS Catalina Installer app is a 5 GB file. It will take a considerable amount of time to download, even in the background and depending on your ISP download speed. If it downloads in the background, when the download finishes, the app will open by itself and present front & center for you to allow it to install Catalina or to quit the app to install later. As His Foulness, the Croc God has said, the Installer app will appear in the apps folder when the download completes.

Believe it or not, we get this type of cry for help often because these are huge files and take a long time to download, especially if your ISP has restrictions or throttling for downloads. Keep in mind that Sierra or High Sierra* are also huge files and will take a long time to download.

Meanwhile, have you prepared for the upgrade? Have you made a backup in case disaster prevails? Have you perhaps run 1st Aid on your hard drive to make sure that there are no issues before you install. Have you surveyed your 32 bit apps for replacements since none of them will function on Catalina?

*If your Mac will run Sierra, it will run High Sierra as well.

Apr 10, 2020 12:51 PM in response to Nicleb

From that page;

macOS Recovery exceptions

The version of macOS offered by macOS Recovery might differ in certain circumstances:
If macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later has never been installed on this Mac, Option-Command-R installs the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. And Shift-Option-Command-R isn't available.
• If you erased your entire disk instead of just the startup volume on that disk, macOS Recovery might offer only the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. You can upgrade to a later version afterward.

You and the other interlopers who have commandeered Ebedgert's thread are offering bad advice and confusing the issue. Proper Apple Support Communities ettiquet is to start your own topic with your issues.

Cannot download Catalina from App store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.