Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install Mojave on a HDD using HFS

I would like to take steps to move from High Sierra to Mohave. Since my start-up drive in my Mid 2012 Mac Pro is still a rotational HDD, is there an option to stay with HFS?

I'm reading conflicting reports regarding the necessity to use APFS with Mojave.

Some of the articles state if you do not have a Solid State Drive, don't use APFS

I understand I have to use a Metal capable graphics card for my vintage Mac Pro.

Can anyone shine a light on this?

Thanks

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 12:04 PM

You can still use HFS+ on a rotating hard drive. You have no choice with an SSD for Mojave or Catalina. It will always be APFS. Even if you first format it as HFS+. Installing Mojave or Catalina will automatically change an SSD to APFS.

Yes, you'll need an upgraded video card that supports Metal in order to install Mojave on a 2012 Mac Pro. Not exactly sure which ones work for that model. I had an EVGA GeForce GTX680 Mac Edition card in a 2010.

Edit: Looks like, yes, this card is also supported in a 2012. There are LOTS of various 680 cards. Only this one is specifically for Macs that will work alone with a boot screen.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2020 12:04 PM in response to Loco

You can still use HFS+ on a rotating hard drive. You have no choice with an SSD for Mojave or Catalina. It will always be APFS. Even if you first format it as HFS+. Installing Mojave or Catalina will automatically change an SSD to APFS.

Yes, you'll need an upgraded video card that supports Metal in order to install Mojave on a 2012 Mac Pro. Not exactly sure which ones work for that model. I had an EVGA GeForce GTX680 Mac Edition card in a 2010.

Edit: Looks like, yes, this card is also supported in a 2012. There are LOTS of various 680 cards. Only this one is specifically for Macs that will work alone with a boot screen.

Apr 9, 2020 12:44 PM in response to Loco

You can launch the installer from Terminal and include the "--converttoapfs NO"

—download the installer, quit it like any other app if it launch automatically

—If the installer is sitting in your Applications folder

—replace the "/Volumes/MyDisk" by dragging your hard drive to the terminal window to complete the path

— append with a trailing "--converttoapfs NO"

the command line as follows:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --volume /Volumes/MyDisk --converttoapfs NO

it could be the rotational HDD will only install as HFS+ this I don't recall.

I do know when I first installed it on my 2012 MBP w/ SSD I did it as HFS+ before apfs proved itself— easy enough to convert later on the fly.

Can I install Mojave on a HDD using HFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.