Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading from High Sierra to Mojave but retaining HFS+ file systems

I have late 2012 iMac 27" (core i7, 32GB Ram, 2GB Graphics) that has a Fusion drive AND an external drive box that doesn't support conversion to APFS. Can I upgrade to Mojave and use HFS+ file system or do I have to wait until I nix the Fusion drive AND/Or upgrade the external HD box??

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 8:31 PM

The answer is yes, that iMac can be upgraded to Mojave. The installer will perform APFS conversion for volumes on which it is installed. The installer will not attempt to alter the Time Machine backup drive's file format nor should you attempt to either.

7 replies

Aug 19, 2019 12:50 AM in response to jdba

Mojave will run on a drive formatted as HFS+, but it will not be able to install updates via the Software Update preference in System Preferences, and the standalone OS and Security Updates via the Apple Support Downloads page will only install on APFS formatted drives, unless you alter the Distribution file in the install.pkg.

Upgrading from High Sierra to Mojave but retaining HFS+ file systems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.