Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Activation Lock

I'm trying to factory reset my iPad. When I provide my Apple ID (same ID originally used to setup the iPad) it's telling me the ID can't be used to unlock the device (Activation Lock). I've logged into iCloud and removed the iPad device from the Find My device list. I've rebooted the iPad several times and am entering the correct Apple ID / password but the device won't unlock. Is there something else I can do to get the iPad to recognize that I'm the original owner and that the iCloud/Apple ID that I'm using is valid?

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 2:17 AM

Your AppleID may be “valid” account with a good password, but is it the same AppleID that was used to previously activate the iPad?

The device Activation Lock is tied to a specific AppleID account. Logging-out from you iPad with one AppleID (e.g. “Bob”) and logging back-in with a different (but valid) AppleID (e.g., “Jane”) does not update the Activation Lock. In this example, the Activation Lock is still tied to “Bob” - even though “Jane” is the current user.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201365

If you are absolutely certain that your AppID is the AppleID to which the Activation Lock is associated, you would be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. They will likely require documentary evidence that you are, in fact, the original owner; expect to have to produce your original receipt bearing the serial number of the device.

The link to Contact Support is at top-right of this page.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2020 2:17 AM in response to ambarry66

Your AppleID may be “valid” account with a good password, but is it the same AppleID that was used to previously activate the iPad?

The device Activation Lock is tied to a specific AppleID account. Logging-out from you iPad with one AppleID (e.g. “Bob”) and logging back-in with a different (but valid) AppleID (e.g., “Jane”) does not update the Activation Lock. In this example, the Activation Lock is still tied to “Bob” - even though “Jane” is the current user.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201365

If you are absolutely certain that your AppID is the AppleID to which the Activation Lock is associated, you would be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. They will likely require documentary evidence that you are, in fact, the original owner; expect to have to produce your original receipt bearing the serial number of the device.

The link to Contact Support is at top-right of this page.

iPad Activation Lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.