Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro late 2013: green and magenta horizontal lines on exported videos

Hi guys.

My MAC PRO late 2013 can't be used anymore to export video since it would seem that, when overheating, it starts producing many green and magenta horizontal lines (and/or black blocks clusters) randomly appearing over the exported material (below, a black frame with one of these lines).

It also produces horizontal white lines during playback with QuickTime.

Sometimes, during the normal editing work, I also experience glitches appearing randomly around my monitor.

Horizontal lines on exported videos appear on material exported with Davinci Resolve 16 Studio (and previous versions), and Adobe Media Encoder (I guess also through Premiere, I haven't tested it recently). Important note: EVEN WHEN I SET UP Davinci Resolve TO EXPORT THE MATERIAL AT 1 FRAME PER SECOND, these problems WON’T STOP.

Glitches on playback appears on QuickTime and other playback softwares.

My configuration:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro6,1

Processor Name: 12-Core Intel Xeon E5

Processor Speed: 2,7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 12

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 30 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 32 GB

Boot ROM Version: 132.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.20f18

OS: 10.14.6 (but Glitches appeared also on previous versions).

The trash-can was bought at the end of 2015.

I’ve read a lot about how to resolve similar problems (for example, even if related to a macbook, in here: https://services.dartmouth.edu/TDClient/1806/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=76058) but it would seem there is no way to fix it.

I’M WONDERING IF DISABLING ONE OF THE TWO GRAPHIC CARDS WOULD RESOLVE THE PROBLEM, since one of the two cards is covered by the flash storage and this proximity of the two components may cause that overheating of this component, that may be the origin of those lines and glitches. Here you can see the flash drive (in this case, while being removed): immediately behind, the graphic card I would like to disable: https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/macpro/remove_correct.png

Thank you very much,

best,

Stefano.

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 12:34 PM

Hi,

It's worth running Apple Diagnostics if it reports something hardware related issue.

It could be possible your video board is something wrong.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Similar questions

15 replies

May 3, 2020 12:04 PM in response to danielleary

Hi Danielleary,

thank you for your interest.

The original format is mixed:

• 4K DCI dng sequences (generated by a Blackmagic Cinema Pocket 4K camera);
  • 4K UHD h264 files (generated by a a Panasonic GH5 camera - I don't remember which model of GH5).

I had the same problem also while editing dng sequences mixed with Apple Pro Res clips (both generated by a Blackmagic Cinema Pocket 4K camera), and 1920x1080 dng sequences (from Magic Lantern Raw on a Canon Eos 5D MkIII).

On Resolve, I've exported to TIFF sequences, Apple ProRes 422HQ, and h264 (using YouTube DaVinci's preset, Vimeo preset, and a custom h264 set).

Timelines resolutions varied from 1920x1080 to 4K DCI.

Export resolutions were reflecting timeline's ones.

For anything else, please let me know.

Best,

Stefano.

Apr 13, 2020 12:38 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi, and thanks for you contribute.

Yes, I've blown the dust with a vacuum cleaner (being really careful), but nothing happened on the new startup.

I've installed MacFansControl as you suggested, and I've performed 3 tests, monitoring the temperature and capturing images of the screen with all the datas, during the export. I've also captured screenshots of some examples of the occurred coloured lines and glitches. I'll publish a few screenshot here below, while here a wetransfer link to a zip file containing the complete monitoring I did: https://we.tl/t-sjxYYMK6zM. For privacy reasons, I had to cancel some elements with big pixels. Of course, these pixels are not the object of my issue. The file names should help to understand the process, after read the description below.

Here's my test:

First of all, I've captured a screenshot of MacFansControl monitoring the normal temperature of the hardware (while not rendering). Attached here below marked with the yellow text "NORMAL".

ROUND 1: video export on Davinci Resolve at maximum frame per second render speed. Glitches started appearing at 35% of the exporting process. I'll publish here below the values in the closest moment I could capture (37% of the exporting process). I'll mark this picture with the yellow text "REF 1".

ROUND 2: same like before, immediately after (with the hardware already "hot"). Glitches started appearing at 01% of the exporting process. I'll publish here below the values in the closest moment I could capture (37% of the exporting process). I'll mark this picture with the yellow text "REF 2".

ROUND 3: video export on Davinci Resolve at 1 frame per second render speed. Glitches started appearing at 35% of the exporting process. I'll publish here below the values in the closest moment I could capture (01% of the exporting process). I'll mark this picture with the yellow text "REF 3".

What would you suggest? Trying two new exports (at maximum fps render speed, and at 1 fps render speed) with the macpro fan(s) pushed at maximum speed with MacFansControl, to see if the problem will appear again?

Thank you very much, to you, and to everybody is spending/has spent their time on this. I really appreciate.

Apr 22, 2020 11:17 AM in response to stebianchi_dop

Here I'm back. I've been testing for all these days while working, turning on MacFansControl on startup, pushing Fans to full blast, editing and trying to render.

Unluckily the problem persist.

If I shout down my machine and I disconnect the power, rebooting after a minute with cmd+alt+P+R sometimes I'm lucky and I don't have glitches for a while... but it doesn't sound such a scientific method, since it doesn't solve the problem 100% of the times.

Well, I would love to hear Apple's official point of view on the matter.

It's quite a serious problem.

All the best,

and thank you very much to everyone who spent his time to help me.

May 3, 2020 10:29 AM in response to stebianchi_dop

Well, since this should be all about this problem, here's my last words.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL THE KIND GUYS ON THIS FORUM WHO SPENT THEIR PRECIOUS TIME TO SUPPORT ME.

LESS THANKS TO APPLE: I'd love Apple guys out there would know they've just lost a good Client from Italy, which was spending his money in their company's products since around 20 years.

Sadly, I have no interest in playing with phones and lose face and time with potential new failures of professional machines. And it's late to successfully convince all those people around me to trust your products, since they already saw - and suffered with me - what is happening to my/your machine.

Years ago I was proud to be an Apple user. Now I feel embarrassed and guilty.

Best,

Stefano Bianchi.

May 3, 2020 1:17 PM in response to stebianchi_dop

Well shoot... I found my conversation with a friend of mine form a while ago with the same issue but based on the footage format you are working with, it doesn't line up with the issue I know how to solve.

And I do know from first hand experience in Resolve with DNG sequences (although mine was form an URSA but same thing) that that should have no issues exporting from that format to that export format. (Now with the GH5 footage, I have heard some weirdness from people but I don't have experience myself. I do know that they did a weird thing to cram 10bit images into the h264 container on camera, and I've heard some oddities are caused by that in edge cases.)

Just curious, in your tests, you say the issues sometimes arrises at around 35-37%. what clip is that? DNG or GH5 footage?

Is there a filter, effect etc. that is common between the clips it has issues with?

Could you try doing a Flat Pass with that same timeline just to rule out anything being caused by a filter, resize, effect, color setting? I love Davinci and use it as my primary software for editing and color for its multiuser enviornment but sometimes it has some weirdness that just doesn't make sense especially when getting into the edit page stuff.

MacPro late 2013: green and magenta horizontal lines on exported videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.