Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cooling down a hot imac pro

My imac pro is getting hot. I can feel the heat emanating from the front of the monitor. I don't do any processor intensive work like encoding videos. The only programs I use are Safari all the time to watch a lot of youtube videos, and sometimes Microsoft Excel. I've found that using a third party app like iStat Menus to set the internal fans to run at a high speed (1800 rpm) whenever the CPU reaches a high temperature (120 F) makes a big difference. With iStat Menus setup this way I don't notice the imac pro getting hot anymore. I also started using an app called Turbo Boost Switcher to turn off the Turbo Boost of the CPU, but don't know if this is really necessary.

What could be causing the iMac Pro to get hot at "normal" usage? I have it positioned about 2 feet from the wall so there is plenty of space for circulation.

iMac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 3:38 PM

maybe dust and debris, I'd want to eliminate that cause early.

Similar questions

1 reply

Cooling down a hot imac pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.