Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac overheating in Target Display mode

I have two old 27-inch iMacs running in Target Display Mode off a 2013 Trashcan Mac Pro. On iMac has its fans kick in fast and loud when the room temperature climbs above about 21C (70F).

The mid-2011 3.4Ghz i7 connected via Thunderbolt is fine - its fans never run hard, even when he room temperature gets quite warm.

The 2009 2.66Ghz i5 model connected by mini DVI is the one which gets hot. I've installed Macs fan Control so I can monitor what it's doing, but I don't know what's actually safe.

It's so noisy as to not only be annoying, I need to switch off the older iMac when doing anything involving audio, it's so loud. I'm also wondering if there's a deeper problem I should fix (apart from the lack of air conditioning in my home office!).

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 4:23 PM

Has the 2009 ever been serviced?

If not, then it may be full of dust and not cooling properly. Turn it off, disconnect it from the power and vigorously vacuum out the bottom air intakes and small intake behind the stand. The blow out the upper slots on the upper back, repeat and then test.

Also if the stock hard drive has been replaced, then you need to get and use an in-line temp. sensor to properly control the the HDD fan. see > https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD09/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9J2dq5DO6wIVzz2tBh01IAbhEAAYASAAEgJu7fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2020 4:23 PM in response to Nigel Paterson1

Has the 2009 ever been serviced?

If not, then it may be full of dust and not cooling properly. Turn it off, disconnect it from the power and vigorously vacuum out the bottom air intakes and small intake behind the stand. The blow out the upper slots on the upper back, repeat and then test.

Also if the stock hard drive has been replaced, then you need to get and use an in-line temp. sensor to properly control the the HDD fan. see > https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD09/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9J2dq5DO6wIVzz2tBh01IAbhEAAYASAAEgJu7fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

iMac overheating in Target Display mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.