Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari ipados 13.4.1 missing option to “open in new tab”

Hello,

I just updated both my iPad and my iPhone to the latest update release which is 13.4.1 and since then when I hold down on a link on either device the pop-up menu that comes up is missing the option to open the link in a new tab. Now the links do not open in new tabs they just simply open like you just clicked on them. Does anyone know if Apple had changed how a person can open a link in a new tab instead of just switching the current tab over to the new link/page you want to look at?

I look forward to all replies on the subject.

Sincerely,

Wonder woman

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 6:35 PM

I wish they would put the “open in new tab back”; calling it “in background” is confusing, but yes that does work to open a link in a new tab. Thank you that solved it.

5 replies

Apr 13, 2020 3:06 AM in response to WndrWmn

iPadOS Safari menus are dynamic - in that the available menu items change to reflect the available task(s).

The Open in Background menu-item is correctly labelled for your current settings; as the New Tab is being opened as a “background” process, your current tab remains your active “focus”.

Your current setting is this:

Settings > Safari > Open New Tabs in Background > ON

If you change this setting to OFF, Safari’s behaviour will change to reflect this change and the dynamic menu-item will change to Open in New Tab. With this modified setting, a New Tab will open as a “foreground” process - and your active tab (focus) will immediately change to the new tab.

So in conclusion, Safari works as designed - and is so much the better for it; the dynamic options list is accurately and correctly labelled to reflect your chosen settings. If you would like the option to be “Open in New Tab”, just change your Settings to this:

Settings > Safari > Open New Tabs in Background > OFF

I hope this explanation and clarification is helpful to you.

safari ipados 13.4.1 missing option to “open in new tab”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.