Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SD Card to "Photos" on IMac

I am trying to copy photos from an SD card to the photos file (the colorful swirled icon in the bottom tray) on my iMac. I have repeatedly failed. Advice, please. Thank you.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 6:24 AM

After you insert the card, go to the "file menu" in Photos: File > Import, then select the card in the file chooser dialog. Does the "Import New" photos button then appear?

"They are DCIM files, if that means anything. "

Is "DCIM" the name of the folder on the card, or is "DCIM" the filename extension of the files? If it is the filename extension, Photos may not be able to read the image files, as it does not support the medical image formats. Photos 2 on Sierra can read the image file formats listed here, mainly the image formats taken by a digital camera: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 10 and macOS Sierra - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2020 6:24 AM in response to jimsack

After you insert the card, go to the "file menu" in Photos: File > Import, then select the card in the file chooser dialog. Does the "Import New" photos button then appear?

"They are DCIM files, if that means anything. "

Is "DCIM" the name of the folder on the card, or is "DCIM" the filename extension of the files? If it is the filename extension, Photos may not be able to read the image files, as it does not support the medical image formats. Photos 2 on Sierra can read the image file formats listed here, mainly the image formats taken by a digital camera: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 10 and macOS Sierra - Apple Support

Apr 12, 2020 6:01 AM in response to léonie

I finally created a new file on my desktop to deposit the 600+ files. They are DCIM files, if that means anything. My desktop, an iMac is operating Sierra. Catalina next week once I buy the Microsoft Suite.

I am also having trouble moving .MOV files. I have tried to deposit them in IMovie, but no luck. They are from 2011 and shot on a small Kodak EIS camera.

Thanks for your response.

SD Card to "Photos" on IMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.