Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app stuck uploading for a week or so

I have some 78,000 pics and 4,700 videos which I copied to my Mac Photos library after weeks of work, fixing their dates, converting some old formats, grouping them in albums, adding keywords and descriptions, etc... and I was about to enjoy their content from my mobile devices, but uploading has stuck to 2,726 remaining items. Furthermore, my mobile devices have many videos with uncorrected dates - they all show up very recently on the timeline, whereas they were created much earlier (and their dates were painfully corrected in the Mac library).

What I've done so far:

1. Waited - may nights the Mac is on (only the screen is off) and always next day no progress has been made despite the fact that many photo demons show to have been working all night in Activity Monitor history.
  2. Changed WiFi - I read somewhere that some routers have custom ports settings due to other hardware at home, so I tried my other WiFi (yes I have two). I also tried at work. Nothing.
  3. Pause/resume - I've done it for half an hour or so, still no uploads, still no update of dates in corrected files.
  4. Checked for "Problem photos" - I created a smart album with all the photos that cannot be uploaded to the iCloud - guess what: it has zero files inside...

Note that my Mac has the library exactly as I want it (not the iCloud, yet) and the last thing I will do is to purge my Mac's library and wait for the iCloud's uncorrected one to be downloaded back to the Mac. So do not propose this.

Any other ideas? I'm all ears...

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 5:56 AM

How I fixed it:

Thanks to leonie's post here this is the order of operations and it needs a lot of work:

1. Open upload cache according to leonie's instructions (using "find" etc)
  2. See especially all videos starting from the oldest and try to locate their respective originals in your library. Difficult. The dates might help you.
  3. Export them from your library "as unmodified originals" (file menu) to a temporary folder that you will create for this purpose. Note their dates (because this information is lost). Delete them from your library. Delete them also from the "recently deleted" folder in your library.
  4. See also photos in the cache, if you see something awkward (broken images, crazy file formats etc) do the same as above for them too.
  5. Shut down Mac - start in safe mode - shut down again - turn on normally
  6. Open Photos app, scroll down in photos, see if uploads/downloads sync has started. Might need to wait a bit, but the safe/normal boot sequence above helps start the sync.
  7. Double check that these files are now missing from your upload cache (using "find" etc)
  8. Repeat all steps above as necessary if sync gets stuck again
  9. When your sync finishes, import your videos and photos from your temporary folder to your library one by one so as to check if they can be uploaded. Convert any that cannot. Fix their dates once imported if necessary.

Arm yourselves with a lot of patience! This is the only way to fix this until Apple decides to make a decent Photos and iCloud product that doesn't get stuck and shows update progress, has debugging options, skips problematic files, keeps a record of upload errors, allows user to force-sync etc etc. (Shame...)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2020 5:56 AM in response to léonie

How I fixed it:

Thanks to leonie's post here this is the order of operations and it needs a lot of work:

1. Open upload cache according to leonie's instructions (using "find" etc)
  2. See especially all videos starting from the oldest and try to locate their respective originals in your library. Difficult. The dates might help you.
  3. Export them from your library "as unmodified originals" (file menu) to a temporary folder that you will create for this purpose. Note their dates (because this information is lost). Delete them from your library. Delete them also from the "recently deleted" folder in your library.
  4. See also photos in the cache, if you see something awkward (broken images, crazy file formats etc) do the same as above for them too.
  5. Shut down Mac - start in safe mode - shut down again - turn on normally
  6. Open Photos app, scroll down in photos, see if uploads/downloads sync has started. Might need to wait a bit, but the safe/normal boot sequence above helps start the sync.
  7. Double check that these files are now missing from your upload cache (using "find" etc)
  8. Repeat all steps above as necessary if sync gets stuck again
  9. When your sync finishes, import your videos and photos from your temporary folder to your library one by one so as to check if they can be uploaded. Convert any that cannot. Fix their dates once imported if necessary.

Arm yourselves with a lot of patience! This is the only way to fix this until Apple decides to make a decent Photos and iCloud product that doesn't get stuck and shows update progress, has debugging options, skips problematic files, keeps a record of upload errors, allows user to force-sync etc etc. (Shame...)

Apr 12, 2020 6:12 AM in response to NikoSilver

Have you already restarted the mac? Restarting the mac and then Photos will kick off the background processes again .it may help to restart the mac in Safe Mode to clear some caches, then restart normally (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support).

Do you have enough free cloud storage?

You could try to check for the photos waiting to be uploaded by looking into the Library package in the Finder. This is described here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002457

In Photos 5 we can also look into the library package at the file caches.

I am frequently seeing jpeg previews of the current upload in this cache inside the library (assumimg the library is in the Pictures folder in the user home foleder and called "Photos Library.photoslibrary": 

~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/cpl/cloudsync.noindex/storage/filecache/

Be very careful, when you look into the library package, do not modify anything.

• Select the library in the Finder, ctrl-click it or right-click it, then use the command "Show Package Contents".
  • In the Finder window that opens, click the folder "resources", then "cpl", then "cloudsync.noindex" > "storage" > "filecache". You may be seeing plenty of nested folders, and most of them will be empty.
  • To find the images in these nested folders use the "Find" command. Enter the key combination ⌘F, then set the search rule to "Kind > Image" (or video).

When an upload is in progress, I will usually see plenty of jpeg previews of the images, that are currently being uploaded. Unfortunately, we can only see the renamed, internal filenames created by Photos, not the original filenames we are seeing in the Info in Photos.

For example:

But this will give us an idea, which images need checking for a corruption.

If the library is small, or we are just trying to upload a few new photos, we can also look at the most recent photos on the webpage www.icloud.com and check, which photos already made it into iCloud. But this will not work for a very large library, if we are currently uploading the complete library.

Apr 13, 2020 1:54 AM in response to léonie

Hey léonie, your comments are always very helpful!

Re restart:

Well I had restarted my Mac, but not in safe mode and back in normal mode like you propose.

When I first started Photos it said in the bottom something like "Last update March 25th"

Then it changed to "78.000images, 4,700videos updating..." and I've been seeing this for a couple of hours.

Then it changed to "Updating 1,255 items..."

I hoped that this will do the trick, but see below...

Do you have enough free cloud storage?

Yes my friend. More than enough. About 45% of my 1 TB is free.

You could try to check for the photos waiting to be uploaded by looking into the Library package in the Finder. This is described here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002457

Thanks for the tip. The list was 21 videos and about 1,400images long.

The list remained the same after the safe/normal reboot (from what I can remember by looking at the previews).

It's so long that it's difficult to be useful...

If the library is small, or we are just trying to upload a few new photos, we can also look at the most recent photos on the webpage www.icloud.com and check, which photos already made it into iCloud. But this will not work for a very large library, if we are currently uploading the complete library.

Well, there was video from year ...7962 in the iCloud Photo Library! Unless I time travelled with my dad some 6000 years ahead and he rides a horse, this must be wrong... I deleted it reluctantly (also from the bin - I have a copy to re-upload) and we'll see what happens. Reluctantly because if I edit the iCloud library from anywhere else than from my Mac, I don't know if the deletion will cause the Mac to think that it has an older library all together and substitute the entire content from the cloud. Hope it keeps timestamps for each of the numerous changes I've done since that video was uploaded in that crazy date...

After all this above, the next day morning Photos app still shows "Last update March 25th" and occasionally it changes to "78.000images, 4,700videos updating..."

I AM DESPERATE!

Apr 12, 2020 6:43 AM in response to NikoSilver

Unfortunately I don't have answers as to why your upload is stuck. The only debugging options I've seen are:

* Reboot your mac

* Unlink your album as the "system photo album" in preferences. Quit Photos, restart Photos, reselect your album. (Be careful with this as it will force the photo library to resend w/ iCloud - a process that took me over a day w/ my 50k photo library)

* Create an "Unable to upload" album and see if you can find any commonality between the faulty images. I don't see how this would impact sync, but might lead you to something.

I *do* have the same problem with incorrect dates (with videos). My main library has all items with their correct dates. On my iPad and another Mac, I have about 50-100 videos that appear with dates in the past week.

Good luck - the debugging / troubleshooting options with Apple Photos is really limited.

Damon

Photos app stuck uploading for a week or so

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.