Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Edit An Imported Audio File In GB

I am new to GB and just want to do basic editing of old cassette tape conversations between family members. I have spent untold hours learning GB on YouTube and via the community ... community feedback has been excellent. Here is what I am learning to do:

• Raise and lower the voice levels
  • Reduce / eliminate some mild background hiss
  • Speed-up and slow-down the audio by 10-15% in certain segments / regions
  • Enhance voice quality / sharpness (need to improve chipmunk voice in a few areas)

With all I have learned, I still can't get tempo adjustments for certain regions to stick. Is this because I did not record the tapes directly into GB, but instead recorded them from a tape recorder / player with a USB port onto a thumb drive, then imported the audio file from the thumb drive into GB? If this is the issue, can I still make my desired edits (see above), but must I take a different approach? Bottom line - Is there a difference in editing when the audio is imported directly into GB vs. when the audio is imported as an audio file?

I am using a Mac - V 10.15.3, with GarageBand - V 10.3.4.

Thank you,

HDP

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2020 7:12 AM

Are you using GarageBand 10? In GarageBand 10 it is no longer possible to change the tempo of a a track with an audio file. Only the older GarageBand '11, version 6.0,5 offered the possibility to convert audio files into recorded loops.

If you want to be able to change the tempo and pitch of a recording, you have to record it to an audio track and not import an audio file. Or turn the audio file into a loop and add it from the Loop Browser.

You can only enable "Follow tempo and pitch" to recorded regions, not to audio files.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2020 7:12 AM in response to HDP

Are you using GarageBand 10? In GarageBand 10 it is no longer possible to change the tempo of a a track with an audio file. Only the older GarageBand '11, version 6.0,5 offered the possibility to convert audio files into recorded loops.

If you want to be able to change the tempo and pitch of a recording, you have to record it to an audio track and not import an audio file. Or turn the audio file into a loop and add it from the Loop Browser.

You can only enable "Follow tempo and pitch" to recorded regions, not to audio files.

Apr 12, 2020 12:48 PM in response to léonie

leonie,

Your suggestion is interesting. How would I "play the audio files on a on a different device and record them into GB?" Right now all I have are GB projects (that came from imported audio files) that have resulted from significant and time consuming cut - splice editing and are now in need of volume adjustments and tempo - speed adjustments.

Additionally:

1. From my GB projects which result from imported audio files, can I adjust volume levels in different regions, via automations? I understand I can't adjust tempo in GB due to the files being imported, but can I adjust volume on GB projects that are built from imported audio files?
  2. Once my GB project is completed (cut - splice, and perhaps volume adjustments) can I then create from GB an mp3 file, and import this mp3 into Audacity, and then will Audacity allow me to adjust tempo - speed where GB did not allow me to do so?

Thank you,

HDP

Apr 12, 2020 7:45 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for your reply. My version of GB is 10.3.4. Therefore it seems I can't change the tempo of my imported audio file in this version of GB. For these imported audio files, in my version of GB, can I adjust volume levels, by region (via automations)? Can I make other voice adjustments to improve the chipmunk voice - and if so, how?

Do you know if other simple audio editing software (Audacity, for example) will allow me to import an audio file and adjust tempo?

Thank you,

HDP

How to Edit An Imported Audio File In GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.